Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 06:27 AM
    Cost of living in China
    Looking into some extended mission work in China, but I have no idea of the cost of living there. Does anyone have good web sites or info on what I could expect to see for costs of things like meals, public transportation and the such.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
    Having lived there for two years and just completed my second short-term trip, I've got a pretty good idea! :)

Your USD will get you just over 6 RMB per $1. Food depends. If you want to eat American food, you'll pay American prices or more. For example, a Starbucks Frappuccino will cost the same as it does here - $4.50/24-32RMB. If you eat Chinese, well, you're looking at spending about $2-5 for a good meal.

Cost of living depends as well. I'd recommend spending a bit more for a good place. Where you lay your head matters. :) A friend of mine is currently living in China and spending about 1000 RMB ($165ish) a month.

Public transportation includes subways, buses, taxis, rickshawish type things, bikes, and motorcycles. Most Chinese cities have a great bus system and some have subways. The Beijing subway will cost about $2-4 per round trip. Taxies charge 8RMB per unit (it's normally about 20 RMB for local travel, but as US taxis, it goes up the farther you go). Buses are inexpensive and probably your best bet- but you have to learn the schedule! Most buses are about 2RMB each way (that's pocket change, really).

Feel free to PM me for more info if you need it! :)

You'll LOVE China! But really, put your money where you live. You can put up with pretty much anything when you have a comfortable place to live. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much does it cost to bring a Container from china to canada? [ 10 Answers ]

I wonder I much that can cost to bring a 40 feet container from china to canada ( or USA if you know). How much can I expect for customs clearance? If the container goes to Montreal,Quebec is it better to bring by train or by truck? With minimal details, a best approximation is as follows: ...

Fastest way to get married to a Portuguese living in China [ 1 Answers ]

My girl friend has a Portuguese passport, she is from Macau now lives in China what would be the fastes way to be able to have her stay in Amreica? Should I marry her when she visits next or what? Thank You

Ms biotech in japan, china or any other with less cost [ 1 Answers ]

Hi can you provide some need ful information about education i.e ms biotechnology in japan or china.. what about cost and is there any entrance for that test??

Shipment cost from Detroit, USA to Shanghai, China [ 1 Answers ]

My friend want to move his machines to China. The total weight of his machines are 3,600 to 5,000 pounds. Who can tell me the shipment cost of this weight from Detroit to Shanghai, China?

Living in China state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I will be living in China for most of the year, the rest of the year I will stay with my family in Pennsylvania. I am retiring from the school system and they want me to file state tax. When I go what do I do about Georgia state taxes from my retirement? Do I have to pay state taxes in Georgia if...

View more questions Search