Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rludolph Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Rushing Water Sounds in Plumbing
    I have been experiencing intermittent rushing water sounds in one specific location in my plumbing. I used to get this, which sounds exactly like my sprinkler system turning on (even when it is not), only occasionally. Last night, it started making the noise every 5-10 minutes. The rushing sound lasts for only 1 to 5 seconds. It is coming from inside the wall behind my washer. I tried turning off the valve to the washer, but it still happens. The noise is not in the washer or the valve, but inside the wall.

The noise is most obvious at night, when no water is running in the house except for the water heater and ice maker for the fridge. Can you help?
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Feb 28, 2007, 10:28 AM
    It sounds as if you have a leak in a toilet. When the level in the toilet tank drops the valve will open automatically and you will hear water running.
    Other places I have found similar leaks are on auto filling valves that are on the humidifier on the furnace or a fridge that has an ice cube maker.
    If you are on City water and have a water meter you can check to see if the dial on the meter is moving. This will confirm a leak.
    There are many ways to check for leaks and if you can't find anything obvious I'll give you some more ideas.

Feb 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 297
    It sounds as if you have a leak in a toilet. When the level in the toilet tank drops the valve will open automatically and you will hear water running.
    Other places I have found similar leaks are on auto filling valves that are on the humidifier on the furnace or a fridge that has an ice cube maker.
    If you are on City water and have a water meter you can check to see if the dial on the meter is moving. This will confirm a leak.
    There are many ways to check for leaks and if you can't find anything obvious I'll give you some more ideas.

Thanks Ken 297. The noise sounds just like a leaking toilet, but I have checked them all. When I have had toilet leaks in the past, the sound can be traced back to that location. The sound I have now is in the wall, not near any toilet or the fridge. I don't see any leaks anywhere, but will check the water meter to look for a moving dial as you recommend. I guess the leak could occur to the outside without being obvious.
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Feb 28, 2007, 04:00 PM
    rludolph
    If you shut off the water by the valve at the meter for a minute and if you have a slow leak when you turn it on you should hear a rush of water.
    It doesn't sound like a leak in the pipe or it would be continuous.
    JeanWallace Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 297
    rludolph
    If you shut off the water by the valve at the meter for a minute and if you have a slow leak when you turn it on you should hear a rush of water.
    It doesn't sound like a leak in the pipe or it would be continuous.

If there is a leak in a pipe and you turned al the water valves off. would you stll hear the leak or hissing sound? thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Hi Jean

"If there is a leak in a pipe and you turned al the water valves off. would you stll hear the leak or hissing sound? thank you"

Yes, there would still be pressure in the line until you opened a faucet to relieve it. The sound would continue until the pressure bled off. Regards, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 10:17 PM
    A valve not opened all the way can make a rushing sound.

Mar 18, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback. Turns out that the problem was so apparent that one night because there was a house fire in our subdivision. I guess the water pressure was fluctuating wildly.

I later did a check of the water pressure in my house and found that it was over 100psi. I had the pressure valve changed out, which reduced the PSI to 40-50 and eliminated the puzzling noise.
    atw58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Same here. It was driving my wife crazy. I put a water pressure meter on the laundry room tap. Every 5-6 min, the pressure would drop from 50 psi to 40 then quickly ramps up to 70 and falls back to 50.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
    If your pressure was fluctuating that shows you do not have a closed system, meaning there is not a check valve at the meter or the check valve the municipality provides has failed. After you have a closed system [check valve installed] then you are required to have an expansion device installed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Rushing through baseboard heat pipes [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Weil Mclain Gold Oil furnace that is approximately four years. The furnace generates heat through our hotwater baseboard heat pipes. Lately we hear the sound of rushing water in the pipes. In the past we have heard banging when the system is cold and heating up, but this is something...

Water heater plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I recently purchased a new house. The house has several bedrooms, and therefore two water heaters. Because the crawl space is not real tall the builder went with electric 50 gallon water heaters. They are located side by side. Here is my question. They have these heaters plumbed...

Plumbing no running water [ 1 Answers ]

I don't have any running water in my kitchen, but I have running water al through the house and my back rent house. Could my water line to my kitchen be clog. Plus the water in my ice box runs hot it is also in the kitchen.

Constant 'rushing water' noise in pipes! [ 2 Answers ]

Help! Over the last month, we have had a constant rushing water noise in our pipes, both upstairs in the toilet and downstairs at the kitchen sink (both appliances on the mains). We thought the water board had changed their pressures but they haven't. We noticed that out neightbours drive way...

Horn sounds /water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... trumpet sounds are heard every time we flush, turn on the water etc. It is getting worse. What is the problem and can we fix it? Teddybear42

View more questions Search