Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snapple79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2004, 06:42 PM
    CDRW problems
    I recently started having problems with my CDRW. I open the CDRW drawer and then close it (with or without a CD in it) and then it causes my computer to stop responding and eventually freeze. There's a little light that goes on when the CDRW drive is thinking and now when I close the drawer that light never goes off.

I've had my computer for 3 years and I've used the CDRW many times and it's worked. Only recently this problem started happening. What is causing it and what can I do to fix it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2004, 06:52 PM
    That is probably the end-of-life symptom of the drive.
    You insert a CD, the drive tries to read it, but it can't. You remove the CD, close the drawer, and the light goes on forever. You probably cannot open the drawer immediately then either - you may even have to power-cycle the PC to be able to open the drawer again.
    You may try a cleaning CD. Success is not guaranteed.
    Fix: replace the drive...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2004, 08:15 PM
    Likely there is a little lever that trips a switch when the drawer closes. Before I scrapped the drive, I would take a look. It might only take bending the lever a little or even replacing the switch.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2004, 04:19 AM
    CDRW problem
    Hi,
    Sounds like your CD-RW drive is biting the dust... mine did after 3 yrs.
    I replaced it for 40 dollars, US... faster drive than the other one!
    That price was not a special price, but bought one at a local computer repair/sales store... needed it right away for backups.
    It's a 52x24x52 drive, just to give you an idea of how much cheaper they are now than just a couple of years ago.
    My suggestion is to buy a new one, if you can afford it. It will save you time in trying to fix the old one.
    Merry Christmas,
    fredg
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 19, 2005, 12:01 AM
    New one
    New Burners are so cheap now, why not upgrade.

Try www.newegg.com the best retailer I have ever dealt with on the net.

Get a lite-on 52x24x52 speed CD Burner, most review sites, rank it no. 1. and I have had one for a year now, and it burns anything without problems.
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp pro refusses my cd/dvd & cdrw [ 3 Answers ]

I add CDrw to my computer.. And now I have lost my e: drive where was shown my cd content... When I put in my cd/dvd cdrw a disck , cd/dvd cdrw just light up a bulb and that is all. I can not see cd content because my e: drive is lost. I don`t know what to do! Please help me.. :confused: :( ...

Cd rom reading cdrw [ 1 Answers ]

Heloow ;D I have a cdrw in which I have written data in multimodesession i.e. Whenever I get file I append it in its last written track When I read it using the cdrom drive I get only the data that I have first written and not the latest files . Then after I keep on reloading the cd I get...

Cdrw problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a verbatim cdrw 40x12x48x that is recognized in my operating system and bios as a lite on ltr 40x12x48x. The nero software that came with it says it is not a verbatim drive and only verbatim can be used and I used the current version of nero and it burns bad cds and sometime sees a blank cd...

Cdrw-external-usb [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Philips CDRW 462/463/464 external USB drive.I lost my installation disk, drivers and my laptop computer running on Windows ME had to be reformated. CDRW drive is not recognized by the computer and it's not working. Please let me know where I can get the drivers for this drive and how to...

View more questions Search