Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paulzy123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
    GFCI Wire sizes not alike..
    Hello.

I have a 40amp GFCI installed in my panel that powers my hot tub outside.
    The hot tub is fed with 45 feet og 6/3 copper wire.
    The tub calls for a 40 amp GFCI breaker.
    So far so good.

The hot tub works great most of the time. However, once every week or so the GFCI will trip. Reset it and all is good for another week or more.

Today I chose to inspect the GFCI wiring in the panel. All connections are tight, but I did notice that the ground wire installed on the GFCI neutral to panel lug is of a different gauge than all the rest (6/3) the ground wire is 8 gauge.

My question is this. Will the smaller gauge neutral wire cause the breaker to falsely trip on occasion? Or should I replace with a larger GFCI like 50amp that is more suited to the wire size?

FYI the test button works like a charm.

Thanks
    Paul
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 02:47 AM
    The equipment ground conductor is usually smaller.

Before we can advise you to increase the size circuit breaker, need to know what type of cable the #6 is.

The ground wire should not be connected to the neutral.

Can you provide a photo of the inside of the GFI breaker enclosure?
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Jun 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulzy123 View Post
    Hello.

that the ground wire installed on the GFCI neutral to panel lug is of a different gauge than all the rest (6/3) the ground wire is 8 gauge.

Will the smaller gauge neutral

So is it the ground, or the neutral?

Doesn't really matter, it wouldn't be the cause. FYI, NEC code states that with pools and spas, ALL wires need to be the SAME size. While you can undersize the ground wire in other applications, no so with pools and spas.

Changing the breaker to a larger won't make a difference... though, it could if the current breaker is going bad :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Safe to use 2 different wire sizes on receptacle? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a #10-2 wire running to my garage for the overhead light. All that is on this line is the overhead. I want to remove the light that is there now and replace with several T8 tubes that have cords. At the line in (old light fixture) I want to install a 15a receptical and then to 2 more...

Usa rules and regulations to select wire sizes for power sockets according to Amp. [ 1 Answers ]

HI. I want the usa rules and regulations. According to this I want to select wire sizes for power sockets. In different manners i.e If in a circuit only one socket of 30amp is connected, what should be the wire size according to the usa electrical rules. Similarly if in a circuit more...

Wire sizes [ 4 Answers ]

I recently ran 12-3 wire off a 15 amp breaker as a main feed for my 2nd floor, only problem is it connects to 14-3 at the closest junction box to spread out to all the other connections on the 2nd floor. Is this okay? Also I prob. Only had to run 12-2 anyway as there is no other connection between...

Wire sizes [ 16 Answers ]

How do I find out what wize sizes to use for a 100, 150, 200 amps panels?

Wire sizes and breaker boxes on main lines [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently adding an addition on to my 100 year old house (which has 50 year old wiring). I only have 100 amp service, but this is enough for now. Here is my plan: From the pole to the addition will be a 100 foot stretch of 4/0 cable. I realize that with 100 amp service I do not need that...

View more questions Search