Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Amending joint return
    I run into all sorts of scenarios when I work - this one is out of my league and two Attorneys have given two different answers.

Married couple files first joint returns. Taxes are due and paid.

In sorting through other papers wife discovers rent payments she knew nothing about which were not declared, sales tax on two vehicles (no vehicles were purchased), greatly inflated medical bills.

Her signature is on the Returns but she (and the Accountant) had no knowledge.

One Attorneys says report errors to IRS and beg forgiveness, you can't amend. Other Attorney says do nothing and the Return is audited, pretend you didn't know.

Now - how does she get out from under this (other than divorce which I am sure is coming down the turnpike)?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jun 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
    I would say that it would be much better to come clean before the IRS discovers the mistakes. It's easier to "beg for forgiveness" now than after being audited.
    Also look into the "innocent spouse relief":
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p971/ar03.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amending a return [ 5 Answers ]

I needed to amend my 2006 return, but now I need to send in my 1040x. My question is do I need to send in my original return along with my amended return or is the amended return good enough? Also what is the correct postage for this?

Amending a Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

I am truly a novice at this (filing tax returns) so it was a big shock when I rec'd in the mail a 1099 Misc after I had already filed my federal return. Now I have to file an amended tax return and I am having trouble doing so. My 1099 Misc amount was $2,500. I cannot believe that now I owe...

Amending 2007 return [ 2 Answers ]

I filed my tax return in eary Feb and later received 2 more w-2s. I went back to turbo tax and only added the 2 into the appropriate section. My refund amount is $1200 less than what it was originally, is that something that I will have to pay back or is that an additional tax that I will...

Amending 2004 NM taxes return. [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about amending my 2004 NM tax return? I ask because I lived here the last half of the year and did not attach a PIT-B to my PIT-1 return, which I was confused about, and now NM is coming after me for taxes on income I earned in AZ because of what I put on my Federal return.

Amending a return [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I filed federal tax online, now I realise that if I file jointly I would be eligible for refund, how can I correct my filing status- Thanks Bindu

View more questions Search