Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Rascal has a limp.
    So Rascal hurt his leg. Don't know how. I wouldn't call it a limp, but he's favoring the leg. It's not swollen, no noticeable scratches or cuts. I think he twisted it while he and Chewy were playing. I called the vet, she said not to bring him in, just to let him rest, no walks, etc. etc. which is advice I would have already followed before calling her. The thing that worries me is that this is the same vet that said that Jasper's limp wasn't a big deal, and not to worry. A few days later he was dead.

I may just be overreacting, in fact, I probably am. I just need some advice. I was thinking about wrapping up the leg, a cooling wrap. I will take him to the vet if need be, in fact, he has an appointment for Saturday for his last set of shots. But, I'm a bit weary of going to that vet for treatment. Shots fine, I could give shots, but actual treatment, not so much. Not really trusting her anymore. To get into another vet wouldn't be easy, or quick.

Any advice?

For those that don't know, Rascal is a 4 month old border collie mix. He's very active, and the sore leg isn't slowing him down. He's eating well, and drinking well, peeing and pooing. Everything is normal, other then him favoring that leg. The leg isn't swollen, nothing out of the ordinary. If he wasn't favoring it, I wouldn't think that anything is wrong, he's completely healthy in every other way. I can touch the leg, poke and prod, and he doesn't yelp at all. He's just favoring it.
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Just want to add. I had to work yesterday, so Rascal spent the day in his crate. I came home during my lunch break to let him out, and I only worked a 6 hour shift, but the neighbors are having work done, and it's loud, and he's afraid of loud noises.

It's very possible that he hurt his leg pawing at his crate door. That's what he was doing when I came home to let him out. He was not happy when I had to put him back into the crate to go back to work, and truthfully, in the 2 months that we've had him, he's only had to spend 2 days (yesterday included), in the crate while I work. For the most part, since we got him, Rod has been on nights, or I've been home to take care of our puppy, and Chewy too.

He's good in the crate, at night. I'm not sure how he is during the day, because I'm not there. :(
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
    Another add. I stayed home today because I have the flu, but tomorrow I'm going back to work. So Rascal will be in the crate tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday. Friday is my last day for the summer.

I'm worried. If he did hurt his paw pawing at the crate door, then leaving him tomorrow isn't a good idea. But we need the money, especially if I have to take him to a vet for this limp. :(
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
    IF you haven't already, since he was pawing at his crate check for a broken nail or abrasion on the pad.

Maybe leave him a room with a television or radio on to drown out the noise tomorrow?
    You've probably already has the same thoughts, just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Hope he's better soon.
    Losercoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
    My dog had the same issue.the bet gave him a shot for inflammation and gave him meds for the muscle.Hes good now .
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 06:46 PM
    My GSD suddenly developed a limp - I was this side of frantic. I "assume" she was playing with the puppy. I don't know. She limped and was very cautious for a few days but, as the Vet said - just give it rest and she'll be fine.

I agree with checking the foot and nails (not that LadySam needs MY approval).

I never know whether to run screaming to the Vet or wait it out.
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
    Thanks everyone.

I think I'm worrying more about this because of Jasper. It's only been 2 months since we lost him, and it all started with a limp. Now when I see one of my dogs limping, I instantly think the worst, even though Jasper's issues had nothing to do with the limp, that's how it all started, so a limp scares me.

I just talked to the kids about it, told them not to play too much with Rascal, that he needs to rest his leg. Jared just told me that he accidentally stepped on Rascal the other day. Rod was there too, but didn't really think about that being a possible reason for the limp. Now that he's thought about it, the limp did start after Jared stepped on him. Now Jared feels guilty. :(

Jared is 13, and a big kid. It's very possible that him stepping on Rascal is what's causing the limp. If that's the case, then it's likely just a bruise, and sore, and should be fine soon.

I'll give it a few days. He goes in on Saturday anyway for his last set of shots. If it's not better by then, I'll get x-rays done. I'm going to request a different vet. Our vet clinic has numerous vets there, so that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully I'll get someone competent.

For now he's his usual puppy self, which makes resting the paw a bit hard. He wants to play. Chewy is no help, he wants to play too. But no walk tonight. We didn't walk yesterday because we noticed that he was favoring the leg. He's going to be one unhappy puppy. He loves his walks. But he needs to rest it.

I did give the paw a very thorough look over. There's a very small scrape on the paw pad. Nothing major, just a scrape. Not even bad enough to bleed, or scab over. I put some vaseline on it. I don't think that's what's causing the limp.

I'll likely try to ice it tonight, maybe that will help, but it won't be easy. Rascal is a puppy, and hates having anything on his paws. ;)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2012, 09:07 PM
    Wellll... I would think its kind of crappy for a vet to tell you to just give the dog rest... She should at least offer to come in for some pain meds.

Although not unheard of, puppies don't typically tear their ACLs. That would probably be the first thing I would think of. Also, the luxated patella can cause a pup some pain. Moving wrong or different will cause the knee bone to fall out of place and they will limp until it pops back. Some dogs are painful with this, others aren't. Some dogs actually can pop it back into place.

What you should do.. is major down time for a week, warm compresses to help with the inflammation and swelling and see about another vet. That alone would upset me... If you are calling a vet upset about an incident, they can at the very least, look at it and prescribe some pain meds.

I'm sure it is just a sprained ankle/knee. He may have just turned wrong.
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 09:29 PM
    Thanks Lucky.

So you're thinking heat, not icing it? I was going to ice it. If you recommend heat, I'll do heat. I was just about to put him in the tub and run cold water on it, to help soothe it, and, if anything is lodged in the paw causing the pain, I felt that the water may help dislodge it. Should I use cold water or warm though? My gut was saying cold. :(

He's really favoring it now, but I'm having a hard time keeping him still. No walk is easy. Not allowing a puppy to be a puppy, isn't. Now his paw is swelling. Not a lot, only a tiny bit, and wouldn't be noticeable if I wasn't really looking, in fact, on sight you can't notice the swelling, it's only by feeling that I notice it's a bit larger than his other paw, and only a bit. But I don't think it's the leg. It seems to be the paw. The leg isn't swollen at all, not by sight or by feel.

I called the vet clinic again, but they're now closed. I was thinking of giving him a baby aspirin, because I know that's safe for dogs, but I'm weary. He's only 4 months old.

He won't have a choice but to rest it tomorrow, as he'll be in the crate while I'm at work. He's full of energy, hungry, drinking, peeing, pooing, and otherwise fine, other then the paw being a bit swollen (a very little bit), and the now limp. No longer just favoring it. But my version of a limp may be your version of favoring it. He holds it up when he's standing, and doesn't put full pressure on it when he's walking. When I first posted this, it was more of a "This is bothering me, I'll just be careful with it" walk. Now it's more of a "this hurts. I won't put a lot of pressure on it, and I'll hold it up while I'm standing". Also, when I first posted this he was okay with me touching the paw. The last time I looked at it he yelped. Not a bad yelp, more of a "mom, it's sore" yelp.

Darn. If this were someone else posting I'd know what to say, but for my pup it's not that easy. I'm fully prepared to go to the vet, but the vet said not to worry. Still, my mind is only on getting him better, and worry that it's something bad. Fact is, it's likely just a sprain, or something mundane, but I can't stop thinking about Jasper, and the fact that his illness, which ended in death, started with a limp, and that the vet said, in the beginning, not to worry. :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
    Jared may have stepped on his foot (paw) and smushed a nail or two inside. Isn't ice right after an injury and heat later? Although if it's slightly swollen...

What about tomorrow? How loud is the outside noise--like sudden jolts or just droning?
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
    The neighbors are having something built. It's inconsistent noise. Saws, sanders, nails, you name it. One minute it's fine, then "Bam, bam, bam". I was home today and got to hear it all. Hopefully they'll be done soon.

I checked his nails. They're all fine. I'm not entirely sure that Jared stepping on him caused this, but, he did start to favor the leg right after that happened. But then, he also had to spend a day in the kennel, and I'm sure he was pawing to be let out. He could have just bruised his paw.

It is a bit swollen now, so my gut is still saying that I should ice it. I think I'll go with my gut.

Hopefully he'll be okay tomorrow. I'm thinking of wrapping the leg, but I'm worried that he'll tear into the wrap, and then we're in for even more trouble if he eats the wrapping. I'll likely wrap it once I get home. He shouldn't need it wrapped while kenneled anyway.

Thank you everyone. I'm off to wash off to ice the paw, and then put that little Rascal to bed.

I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for trying to put my mind at ease. I know I'm being a bit silly. It's just a slight limp. In the grand scheme of things, that's really nothing for a pup. But I'm a worry wart. Losing 2 dogs in 5 months does that to you. Sigh. Not fun being a worry wart, especially since I'm slightly OCD as well. :(

Good night all.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 03:21 AM
    I'm having trouble with my connectivity so I have to keep things short and sweet lately, hopefully this goes with no problem.

I'll have to say I feel the same about the vets attitude as Lucky, If an owner calls upset and concerned they should always be offered to come in and have it looked at, after all without checking it out how do you know that there is truly not a problem that needs attending to.

My second thought if not an injured nail or abrasion of course would be a soft tissue injury, and after that a growth plate injury.
    Soft tissue injury can be managed with cage rest and pain meds a growth plate injury is a bit more tricky.
    The cage rest is best right now to keep him from doing more damage.
    Good thought on the wrap, he is a puppy and puppies chew plus you won't to be careful not to impede circulation.
    It's OK to be a worry wart. I'd call a vet again if he is still limping just probably not the same one.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
    I think of Owen and your advice to him when he was a pup and got a limp. REST REST REST. No walks nothing. Outside to pee poop then back in. Watch him closely. If it does worry you then take him in. It can be something it can be nothing. Just acknowledge that you had a bad experience and that is scaring you about Rascal. Then see what your gut says. Hugs to you and Rascal.
    Also tell Jared it is not his fault.. he did it by accident and that happens. It could be related or it could not be. What a good kid though to let you know about it instead of hiding it in fear. Future great pet owner in the making :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 09:48 AM
    If your hubby stepped on him, he should have recovered by now. If he is still limping and not bearing weight, then its something else. If your hubby stepped on him and he pulled to get away, he may have a strained muscle/ligament.. but he should have recovered.

Cold compress closes off the blood capillaries.. which is great for gushing blood wounds.. Warm compresses open up the blood capillaries... which brings in new blood and white blood cells to help with healing and flushes out all the icky toxic stuff that is collecting... It also feels better. So yes, sit and hold him with a warm compress... have it as warm as you'd want it on your skin. Do that for about 15-20 minutes maybe twice a day with strict cage rest.

If he is still limping, by lets say Friday morning, I would take him in and get an x-ray done.

Please don't give baby aspirin.. Its not good for them :( No aspirin is good for them.. If you feel as if he is in horrible pain, take him to the vet for the right stuff..
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
    Alty, I have looked and relooked... and I find nothing saying WHICH of the 4 legs he is favoring... front or back? I assume it's front since it is hard to paw at the cage with a back leg.

You must realize that a 4 month old pup is like a 2 year old kid... everything is growing and in a state of change and development. I think that must be why young children are built so close to the ground... not so far to fall when they 'tip over'? But a pup, and especially a giant breed (not like Rascal) puts great strain on developing bones, joints, & ligaments while frolicking and falling all over itself while chasing or being chased by something.

Dogs, on the other hand, are quite active and awkward at this age. I know you had him in a cage. But, not all injuries cause instant incapacitation... some wait for further aggravation before causing some 'discomfort'. Holding a leg up, or just touching the ground with the toe (front or back leg) is often a mild discomfort within a joint, (there are more joints in a foot than the rest of the limb) and alleviating some pressure on it helps. Sprains, strains, and similar less dramatic 'injuries' are difficult to accurately (and inexpensively) diagnose, and mostly require no more treatment than, as one of my equine professors used to say, "rest and neglect".
    Forget NOT that pain serves a greater purpose than to worry owners... it is a protective device for the injured, promoting rest and neglect, but mostly rest. i.e... Alleviating pain from an IV disk protrusion encourages return to the type of activity that precipitated the disk problem to begin with, and too often enables the animal to promote it's injury into a paralytic disk explosion into the spinal canal. Spare the analgesic and make him curtail use of the affected leg, or foot while you watch for further diagnostic signs to appear.
    And also consider... the vet has two patients when being questioned about about a pet... the pet and the attached owner. And the owner is often the hardest one to successfully 'treat'... probably because it's more difficult to communicate with the owner by looks and touches than it is the pet. When the pet hurts it will pull away, growl, or bite... owners can do better than that, but often don't do anything. Ask questions, but don't expect detailed answers to all of them. You're more complex than Rascal, so let the vet in on your concerns as well.
    Pets Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Thank you all.

Lucky, I hate to say it, I went to bed last night and didn't wait for your reply, so I iced it last night. I just thought that ice would help with the slight swelling in the paw, and the cooling would help. I'll apply heat tonight, and tomorrow. Thank you. :)

He was caged all day today, and seemed to be doing better. Jared was home, and said that when he took him out for a pee and poo, he hardly limped. Then I came home and he started limping worse than yesterday.

He puts pressure on it, but it's obvious that it doesn't feel good. Doesn't seem to be slowing him down though. He still wants to play and run after Chewy, but we're not allowing it. I've been keeping him tied up when I'm home. It hasn't been easy. He is not very happy with me right now. :(

The swelling seems to be down. I called the vet again, and got the brush off again, so I asked her to recommend another vet. The thing is, I called around, and no one is taking new patients. There are numerous vets in the clinic I go to, but since this one particular vet has been caring for Rascal, and Jasper before him, for months, that's who they give me to when I call. :( I asked for a different vet. We have an appointment on Saturday for his last set of shots. I just feel that I shouldn't leave it until Saturday.

My husband keeps telling me I'm overreacting, and that he'll be fine. I'm sure he's right. I am very prone to overreacting right now, because of Jasper. Like I said, Jasper's illness started with a limp, and a week later he was gone. I can resign myself to losing Jasper. Not easily, but he was almost 11 years old, had a good long life, and we did everything we could. But I could not resign myself to losing a pup that's only 4 months old! :(

I am very angry that the vet is brushing this off, but I didn't expect more. She did the same thing when I called about Jasper's limp, and I often wonder if we could have saved him had she taken me seriously, and seen him when I first called. Twenty twenty hindsight is a .

Paleo, when I touch Rascal's paw he doesn't yelp. He only yelped when I pushed and prodded, but he's a very sensitive pup, he hates having his feet touched at the best of times. But just holding, or putting something on his paw, or leg, doesn't seem to cause him pain. When he's standing he'll favor the leg, but he will put his full weight on it while walking. He just limps when he does so. He doesn't yelp when he's walking. If it weren't for the limp, you wouldn't know that there was anything wrong.

I know you all can't diagnose over the internet, and I really don't expect a diagnosis, but my vet is ignoring the fact that I'm panicked about this. I'm sure that in a few days I'll be writing that I overreacted, but until then, I'm still in overreacting mode.

Oh, and yes, it's the front right paw. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
    I don't know but did you ever have a dog that favored a leg and got lots of sympathy - but then forgot which leg it was and started limping on the OTHER leg?

I'd call the Vet again!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
    This caught my eye. He already knows he's your precious baby. Is he milking this for all it's worth? (Cats do this.)

"Jared was home, and said that when he took him out for a pee and poo, he hardly limped. Then I came home and he started limping worse than yesterday."
    Pets Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't know but did you ever have a dog that favored a leg and got lots of sympathy - but then forgot which leg it was and started limping on the OTHER leg?

I'd call the Vet again!
    I actually have! Jasper did that once when he was younger. When I noticed that he switched paws, I ignored him, and he was fine the next day. :)

But, Rascal is consistent with his limp. Jared said that he wasn't limping that badly today, but, Jared is 13. If it's not on TV, or xbox, he doesn't really pay attention.

I did call the vet again. That's what's so frustrating. She keeps telling me not to worry. I don't trust her. But, I can't get into a different clinic for at least a week. At least I have an appointment for Saturday for his last set of shots with this vet.:(

This is just frustrating. It's likely no big deal. I'm hoping that I'll be laughing about it next week, and calling myself a worry wart. But for now, I'm worried, and the one person (our vet) that should be at least looking at him, charging me up the arse, and then telling me it's all okay, isn't listening at all. :(

This is the same vet that said cottonballs for a dog that ate chicken bones, is not a good idea, until I told her to look it up. Then she realized that it was okay. Sigh. Sadly, I feel that I know more than this vet, which is scary because I don't know what's going on with Rascal. But, if I question it too much, then I have to question whether taking her advice about Jasper was the right thing to do. I can't really go there

She's young. I'd say late 20's. But she's the vet we got, for Jasper, and now for Rascal. It's too late for Jasper. We based our decision to put him down on what we saw. He couldn't even lift his head. But... but... BUT! I wonder. Could another vet have saved him? Ya, I'm driving myself nuts. I'm also beating myself up because I didn't insist that we bring him in when he first started limping, I called, and got the "He should be okay" speech then too. That's why I'm worried now. Even though I'm sure that what happened to Jasper, isn't the same thing going on with Rascal. That I'm sure of.

I'm babbling. :(

I need to find a new vet. Or at least have one vet for shots, and nail clipping, and another for actual medical issues, because this one isn't cutting it.
    Pets Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    This caught my eye. He already knows he's your precious baby. Is he milking this for all it's worth? (Cats do this.)

"Jared was home, and said that when he took him out for a pee and poo, he hardly limped. Then I came home and he started limping worse than yesterday."
    I did consider that. But, Jared's version of "he was hardly limping", is like saying "The pope is just a bit Catholic". ;)

Jared isn't very perceptive.

I've been watching, and not watching (not letting Rascal know I'm there), since I got home from work. He's definitely not milking it. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do I go limp while having sex... [ 13 Answers ]

OK my problem is I'm 30 years of age and I have had this problem for quite some time but I'll be having sex and it'll be going really good but then I go limp or sometimes I go too quick but when I masturbate I can go for a really long time (to where my arm hurts from the constant movement) and I...

Why go limp during sex? [ 2 Answers ]

Going limp while sex? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 26 year old. This is embarrassing but my g/f and I have sex a lot and for the past 3 times I have been going limp. I don't know what's going on its new to me and am very worried. I don't know what to do. I don't masterbate to porn or anything because I have her. I have no problem getting...

My man goes limp [ 7 Answers ]

My fiancé and me have bin toghther going on 4 years and we have tried 3 times this week and just when he is ready to put it in me he goes limp should I be worried that he's not attratecd to me anymore

I've got this limp... [ 10 Answers ]

When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run, my wife kept hinting to me that I should get it fixed. But, somehow I always had something else to take care of first... always something more important to me. Finally she thought of a clever way to make her point. When I arrived home one day, I...

View more questions Search