Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    telly9 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Jun 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
    How can I be a good fundraiser?
    Ok, I've put something like this in sales, but it's not really sales because I'm not selling anything.

I'm working as a door to door fundraiser. I need to get people on board with our charity by giving a monthly donation via their bank account. They need to give me some details of their account plus name and address etc.

I started exactly one week ago with a target of getting 3 people on board per day.

Day 1 I got one
    Day 2 I got two
    Day 3 I got one
    Day 4 I got two

Then I went back after the weekend yesterday and I couldn't get anybody. I also couldn't get anybody today. I feel really under pressure now and I'm worried I'll get fired as two people have already been fired now from our team.

I knock at the door, smile, say hello mt name is Melissa, I'm in the area working on behalf of (The Charity), have you ever heard of us?

Then I got into what the charity is about and what we are trying to achieve and why we need the person on board. Then I tell them what exactly I'm asking for and show them the forms I need to fill in in order for them to sign up..

I'm doing really really badly and I really want to do well as I like doing this work but they're not going to keep me on if I'm not doing what I'm supposed to do.

The objections I'm getting range from "I don't give bank details at the door" to "I'm already donationg to my own charities" to "I haven't got time to talk to you" of a simple "no, no, no, i'm not interested"...

What can I do? How can I be more persuasive so as to get people to part with their money on a monthly basis. It honestly is for a great cause and I just don't seem to be convincing people that it's worthwhile to give me their details etc or even to talk to me..

Has anybody got any experience doing this? Can anyone advise me?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
    No way I would give my bank details to a total stranger at the door asking for charity money. Take it from there. The people you are volunteering with need to tell you more, need to authenicate the charity (have they).

Plus in sales, learn a lesson, you never ask a question that can be answered with a NO answer.

I woul strongly suggest you get out of this venue.

The people who gave you their information must be totally stupid.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
    I agree with Tickle. The people who are running this campaign must be clueless about identity theft and how cautious people have become about personal information. No way would I give my bank info to a stranger! You really need to look for a different job.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I agree with Tickle. The people who are running this campaign must be clueless about identity theft and how cautious people have become about personal information. No way would I give my bank info to a stranger! You really need to look for a different job.
    For the most part it is good experience for the OP, but the days are long gone when door to door has any impact on what people by that way.

OP, if wants to stay in sales, should go with the old tried and true method of learning sales and marketing skills the Dale Carnegie way. I know he is long gone, but he left a legacy of skills that can't be surpassed.

www.dalecarnegie.com/FreeSession
    telly9 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Jun 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
    I want to stay with this for as long as they'll let me. Thanks very much, I'll look that up!

Everything is verified and they are a registered charity. When I give the forms in to the office the charity calls the person and then the bank and everything is set up.

I've signed up myself with a charity that called to my door. I have done a number of times. I tend to change charity each year just to give a little to each.

I just need advice on how to get people as passionate as I am about this charity. It's for people who've suffered strokes.. I understand people are cagey with bank account numbers but I've signed a lady up who works in a bank and she had no problem at all giving me her details...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fundraiser and charity [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know on how coul I do my own fundraiser and charity on the hunger and the poor?:od

Personal fundraiser [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single parent to my high school daughter, she is wanting to be in cheerleading. I went to the meeting last night only to find out they have no scholarship programs or fundraisers for people who can not afford it its over 1600. For her to be a cheerleader. While this my not be significant to...

IS it leagal to have a fundraiser for your own family? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large family- we have 7 children. Things have gotten very bad for us and we are going to lose everything pretty soon. MY question is: Can we have a fundraiser for ourselves?

Allowable fundraiser [ 1 Answers ]

A small local organization has asked our 501C3 organization to join in the publication of a business directory listing members of both organizations that are small business owners. Businesses would pay to be listed. Is this a permissible activity for a charity?

View more questions Search