Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caribbean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2004, 06:38 AM
    Heat Pump and burned fuse - Need HELP?
    I am having a problem with our heat pump. The last 2 days we have noticed a burning smell downstairs and were trying to locate where it was coming from. Narrowed it down to the heat hump. Vacuumed the unit out and replaced the filter yesterday. This morning had the same problem. Seems to happen first thing in the morning when the unit is coming on to warm up after being set to a lower temp over night. This morning the unit stopped working and I checked the fuses. It has two fusetron fuses for the heat side of the unit. One of them was literally burned up. Have never seen this before. Have blown fuses before, but not seen them disentigrate into dust particles. Should I replace the fuse and see if it happens again or just call the repair man? Was wondering if there could be a problem with the secondary heat strips causing it? Scared of having a fire now. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2004, 01:43 PM
    I would check the secondary heating strips carefully. If you have an ohmmeter, see if they have the rated resistance and are not shorted to ground. Also make sure the fuses and wiring are heavy enough to support the secondary heat strips, fans, and the compressor. The compressor should give the amps it draws. The wiring should give its size on it. 10 ga wire is good for 30-40 amps. The wire is undersized if it gets warm to touch. Check the fan and blower motors. A dry bearing could be causing a higher power draw. If you don't find any problems, try new fuses. If there is a problem, the fuses saved you once, and should again. If they blow again, better call a repairman.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2004, 02:41 PM
    In addition:
    If the fuses were "disintegrated", or "burned", then you should also inspect for poor mechanical/electrical contacts in that area (check that the fuses are firmly seated, clean the contacts if they look dirty). Fuse contacts are not designed to heat up and will eventually "burn-in" when they become resistive.
    Then you come to the stupid situation that what is protecting you against fire, might cause fire (OK, OK, maybe this is an overstatement - but I could not resist).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- Our neighbors have installed a heat pump recently much to our dismay. It’s located on the side of there house which is only about 5 feet from our living room wall. Needless to say, the sound is coming straight into our living room. It’s a constant buzzing noise. Any ideas how we can...

Heat pump question [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and we have a lennox heat pump unit. It has been very hot here recently averaging about 90+ and I have noticed that during the day my heat pump seems to run almost continuously with the tstat set at 74. It will cut off once and a while but its usually only for about 5-10...

Heat Pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had someone install a brand new 98% eff. Furnace with a 13 seer a/c. They offered to put a dual fuel heat pump in for $2000.00. My gas bills are still a little higher than I would like and I wanted to know if a dual fuel heat pump is really worth the extra money and if it would save me...

Heat Pump [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Lennox heat pump. My builder was required to put one in per our neighborhood association. However, he set the thermostat so that it would never kick on because he thought I would like the hotter air provided by the gas furnace. I was thinking with the price of gas on the rise the heat...

View more questions Search