Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrometa Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2007, 07:19 AM
    How to find the right hobby.
    It may seem odd, but I seem to be stuck at this point in my life. But, here I am.

I am married, with children and I also attend the University part time. It seems like most of my life centers around responsibilities. I gotten so involved in taking care of my kids, my house, my husband and school that over the years, I kind of forgot about me. There just didn't seem to be time left over.

Now the kids are bigger, i.e. my daughter is at the age where she is "hanging out" with her friends (She's 6 and has a MUCH more active social life than I do.) and my son is sucked into the wonderful world of computer games when he gets home from school. I finally find that I have time that I can use for ME.

The problem is that I seem to have lost a part of me. The part of me that has interests, you know the whole.. "what do you like to do?" I seem to draw a blank. I've spent the last 15 years as either a wife or mom or combination of both.

I would really like to find something that makes me feel good, that brings fun back into my life. I am also horribly practical which has made finding a hobby a pain. So maybe someone out there can help.

I have to add that I moved to foreign country to be with my husband, and while I have acclimated to a certain degree, I am friendless. I keep hoping that will change, I'm working on the how part.

Anyway, for me, a hobby has to be practical. Meaning if I am going to make something (sew, knit, paint, draw... ) I have to be able to use the result. We live in a condo and there isn't a lot of space to just have a box of paintings or sculptures building up.

It needs to be something I can teach myself. (attending how to classes being taught in a foreign language gives me a headache and I get confused).

And it needs to be something that I can easily put down and come back to later, in case someone does need me for something.

I love plants and flowers but I tend to kill them.

It needs to be something I can do inside, since I am in class during the day, and I do need to be home with the kids at night.

Any ideas?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Feb 28, 2007, 07:35 AM
    How about buying and selling on eBay? My sister does it and seems to enjoy it. I should add that she is house bound so it is an easy hobby.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:36 AM
    What do you think about crochet or knitting? Needlepoint or cross stitch? Those can be started and set down and come back to. Does not take much space. And you can learn them by yourself. You do not even have to buy a book, there are online resources.
    andrometa Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

Buying and selling on Ebay sounds exciting, I'm just not sure how practical it would be in terms of shipping and stuff, considering I am living in Denmark. I'm afraid I would loose more money than I would earn. Plus, I really love shopping and we do live on a budget. *sigh* ;)

I used to cross stitch a lot as a teenager actually. I just haven't found any cross stitch supplies in any of the hobby shops here. I couldn't even find plastic canvas when I wanted to make a barbie house for my daughter. (I found this great pattern book for it on eBay. Hehe) But couldn't use it. I haven't had much luck finding American hobby companies willing to ship over here. If they do, the shipping costs more than the materials.

I've tried crocheting thinking that it would be a good hobby. I can make a chain, but all my squares look more like lop sided triangles or something. It's just sad.

But maybe patchworking! I was just thinking that I wish I could crochet blankets because I love a good homemade blanket. I don't know why I didn't think of that before! Thanks so much for your help!

If you think of anymore ideas, please share them. It would be nice to have a few ideas. :D
    Penny Poo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
    I know your question is old but I just ran across it and must suggest as a hobby - learning Danish! Although you have probably done that by now. That is one of my hobbies and is difficult to do from the States! Also, there is always photography (which will get you outdoors and, hey, you live in Denmark!) and then scrapbooking with your favorite pictures (which will keep you in with your kids).
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
    How about soccer? Daughter is in an adult indoor league that gets her out one day a week. Mostly for fun and exercise, but she really likes it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to find a hobby [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to find a hobby. I have never really had any hobbies in my adult life and I am now trying to find one. I don't know how to even start. I am looking for any help on how to find something that interests me.

Need passion, need a hobby [ 25 Answers ]

I really do wish I had some hobbies but I've never become enthralled in something. Ever since I was young I just wasted my spare time with video games :o It's a bit sad really, there isn't anything I'm really passionate about. I just go out and drink beer and see mates in the meantime. I don't...

Teen looking for hobby [ 15 Answers ]

Hi everyone. This problem has been bugging me for several months now, so I'm giving one of these sites a go, seeing as I can't find the answer myself. The point is, I want to find a hobby. Seems simple, right? Well, for me, not really... My life feels like there is something missing. I...

How to help someone find a hobby? [ 25 Answers ]

I'd like to help my girlfriend find herself a hobby. We've talked about it, I asked her to explain to me what makes her happy in her life, and I've come to a conclusion that the only hobby she's really interested in is watching television. Now I know that's, first of all, not healthy. She can...

Hobby Suggestions [ 17 Answers ]

I have a brainstorm for you AMHD persons. I need a hobby :D This is what I like, my cats, my dog, my rabbit, I like to read (when I am not cleaning, working 8-5, or laundry.) I feel I would be a more happy person if I had a hobby. I live on an acreage, which I moved to for my husband. I...

View more questions Search