Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miaau Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 05:20 AM
    How many grams of which reactant remains?
    Okay I'm stuck in South Korea where I can't find any chemistry books and this question is driving me nuts!! Can someone please help?

Chlorine dioxide, ClO2, has been used as a disinfectant in air conditioning systems. It reacts
    With water according to the reaction:
    ClO2 + H2O ---> HClO3 + HCl
    If 142.0 g of ClO2 is mixed with 38.0 g of H2O, how many grams of which reactant remain
    After the reaction is over
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:29 AM
    do you know about moles?

The number of moles is proportional to the balancing in the equation, so from your equation, 1 mole of ClO2 and 1 mole of H2O will form 1 mole of HClO3 and 1 mole of HCl.

You need to work out how many mole of the reactants you have, and work out which one is less, then you can work out how many moled of the products will be produced, and then convert that back to mass to answwer your question.

Please ask if you have trouble understanding this :)
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Feb 28, 2007, 09:05 AM
    This question would be much easier if it were in solution...
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
    It's pretty easy...

Mar 1, 2007, 06:30 AM
    I understand the concept but I'm still pretty useless could you maybe please help me out a bit more. It's the last question on my assignment and I'm struggling like an idiot. Thanks I would really appreciate it. If there's any chance that you would please look through my answers on my assignment would you? I'm new at chemistry and have no books but I will kick you'll see..
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Haha, I don't have the time myself, And I'm a bit rusty at chemistry, maybe kp or rudi_in whill offer their services... we'll see.

For this one, you need to work out the molecular weights, so for H2O the molecular weight is 16+1+1 (O+H+H using atomic mass) which is 18. This means that 18 grams is 1 mole of H2O. You have 38g, so you can work out how many moles you have.

When you;ve done this for Chlorine dioxide too, you can see which one you have the least moles of, this will be your limiting reactant. This is the number of moles of EACH PRODUCT you will form, from there you can work out how many grams of each product you have using molecular weights.

Mar 2, 2007, 04:39 AM
    I got it!! Thanks man!! Damn it feels good!
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 04:46 AM
    You get that tingle in your brain? Ooh yeah! :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Length of time Chapter 7 remains on Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

At one time CHapter 7 only remained on your credit report for 7 years instead of ten. If filed my Chapter 7 prior to the change in the length of time am I under the ten years or the seven years. My Chapter 7 was discharged in January of 2000. If I am right what can I do? Sincerely, Everett...

How many grams of sugar [ 4 Answers ]

How many grams sugar should a healthy adult have a day?

Urgent reactant and balancing problem [ 2 Answers ]

Write a balanced equation for the excess reaction of oxalic acid ( H2C2O4) with potassium hydroxide. So far I have H2C2O4 + KOH --> H20 + ?

CPU Usage Remains at 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, I discovered the CPU usage on one of my PCs will not fall below 100%. I've attempted everything I can think of to resolve the issue, including: - Running Ad-Aware SE - Performing an online scan from Trend Micro - Performing an online scan from Panda Software - Running Registry...

Shower tile floor and grout remains wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2s marble floor tile. Every time we take a shower an area of dark, wet looking tile and grout expands. Soon my entire floor will look that way. I've done some research and think that the drain weep holes may be clogged causing water accumulation to saturate my floor...

View more questions Search