Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spurs Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2004, 02:18 PM
    Can`t change home page
    When I go into internet options to change my home page, none of the buttons will let me click on them in the home page area so I cannot change my home page, any ideas anyone.
    Thanks in advance, Mike
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2004, 02:39 AM
    2 possibilities come to my mind:
    a) ensure you're logged on as administrator to your computer
    b) your IE could be hijacked
    Check if this URL could help you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320159
    And specifically, if hijacked, this one:
    http://www.geekgirls.com/net_hijacked.htm
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2004, 06:04 AM
    Home Page Change
    Hi,
    You probably have Spyware.
    Here are steps that should solve this issue:

If you have the following programs; run them as below.
    Spyware/Advertising ware removal

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

Both the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.
    It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first time.
    Also, if you notice the little green computer lights that show your dial-up connection to the internet staying on when they shouldn't be, located on the bottom right of the system tray, disconnect immediately and run AdAware. These lights staying on means that some URL is sending or receiving spyware/advertising ware to or from your computer, most of the time.

When finished, try it again. You also might have to reinstall IE.
    Merry Christmas,
    fredg
    spurs Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2004, 08:09 AM
    Thanks for advice
    Thank you to you both for your advice, Problem solved, you are heroes. Regards Mike
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2004, 09:46 AM
    Spurs... IE Home page
    Hi, Spurs,
    You are quite welcome... glad you could fix it.
    This Spyware/Malware stuff is the scourge of the internet now. As a precaution; If I visit any site that I don't trust, I always run AdAware a couple of times before I either re-boot or shut down.
    Any Spyware programs that get into the computer will not "build themselves" into the computer until it's rebooted; that's when I see the messages "Configuring program, this may take a few minutes", and then "Configurations finished...loading Windows". I know then I am in trouble if I haven't just installed a new program!
    Best wishes, and thanks again,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Page different on IE & Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed my Yahoo home page is different in Firefox & IE. What would the reason be for this? How do you change these pages to look the same?

Home Page Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I can`t change my home page in internet options, where it says " you can change which page to use for your homepage" the links are grey and not clickable? Any advice anybody, thanks Mike.

Hijacked Home Page [ 3 Answers ]

My Home Page is continually hijacked. I have run all the latest updates for SpyBot and Adware6 (As of July, 31, 2004). They have removed an incredible amount of "junk" from my computer however I still get a homepage listed, res://gvwda.dll/index.html#44272. I have to enter "Tools" and manually...

Help me with home page... [ 1 Answers ]

I have big problem with my home page... when I start up my comp it is always same home page ------------------------------>go.targetsearch... a can fix it in internet tools but if I turn off my comp an again turn on----again that page?? Please help... This is probably the most frustration I've...

Internet Explorer Home Page [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I log onto to a particular program it automatically changes my Home page on Internet Explorer. Without naming the program I can only mention that It allows me to download music. How can I make my Home Page irreplaceable? MB

View more questions Search