Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peetyuk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
    Hot Water Tank - works part time
    Hello, I have a multi-part question regarding our hot water tank (50 US gal, 45,000 BTU, gas, approximately ten years old):

1) When we are using hot water regularly, it works fine. However, when we do not use it for a period (approx. eight hours, or more), we have only warm water. After this occurs, if we run the 'hot' (luke warm) water for awhile (load of laundry, sink full of dishes, shower or similar) and then wait a bit (thirty minutes or more), we have hot water again, until the next time we let it sit.

This seems to have only started in the last year or so.

Is there anything we can do, service or adjustment-wise, that would resolve this, or should we be replacing the hot water tank? Is there any way of knowing if this is an indication of imminent failure of the tank (leaking/flooding would be worst case, but no hot water at all would be bad as well)?

For what it is worth, there are no obvious outward indications of a problem (leaking, corrosion, etc.)

2) If we should be replacing the hwt, where is the best place to start? In general, should we start with a major retailer and use their installation services, a local contractor, or start by asking friends and co-workers for their recommendations?

Thanks very much,
    Scott

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced a hot water tank,water is not going to the pressure tank-the pump stays on [ 2 Answers ]

Replaced a hot water tank, turned the pump on and the water is bypassing the pressure tank. The pressure tank will not fill up and the pump remains on and will not shut off. We do get water though but needs to shut off the pump so it will not burn out. Any thoughts? Thank you Any ideas will...

Whirlpool Washer agitater only works part of the time [ 0 Answers ]

Whirlpool Gold Ultimate Care, Model GSQ9340EQ0

No Hot Water In The Morning/ Tank Works [ 2 Answers ]

My problem is I have asked plumbing companies and paid for two service calls and still perplexed. My home is 7 years old. I have a large gas hot water tank with a circulating pump. If the water has not been used for awhile during the day or over night the water is warm but not hot in the...

RV fluorescent lighting works only part time. [ 3 Answers ]

I have replaced two 18"fluorescent lights in my RV ceiling. The problem is that they only stay on for approx. 10 minutes then they go out. If I turn them off for 10 min and then back on, it does the same thing. However, If I let them dangle from the ceiling by the wires... the light fixture...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.