Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SmilingInside Posts: 182, Reputation: 3

Jun 17, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Please don't judge me... xanax when pregnant?
    I'm not looking for judgement, I already feel like crap, OK? I JUST found out I was pregnant, and I have a concern.

I took copious amounts of xanax and valium before I knew. To be precise on amounts, I took about 100 mg's of valium for 2 days straight, and 60 mg of xanax for 3 days straight, basically right in a row. This was at around 4-5 weeks, I did NOT know I was pregnant. These are HUGE amounts, more than most humans could handle. It was a regular thing for me, which is why I could do it.

I am very concerned, and obviously would NEVER do this again knowing what I know now that I'm pregnant, but I need to know, should I be concerned? I am afraid to tell a Dr because of the repercussions so I will NOT do so, I just want answers. Is it likely I caused damage? As long as I never do this again, will things be OK? How likely is any damage? I have googled birth defects from xanax already and most of it is either sketchy or from long-term use. I can't find anything about short term heavy use with abstinence after knowing of the pregnancy.

Please just real answers here, don't tell me to ask a doctor. Please don't judge me either, obviously I feel like crap about it and know it was wrong NOW, I didn't know before though. If you know, you know, if not then don't answer. Thank you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
    I'm not here to judge you, but yes, there is a good chance that some damage was done to either the heart or the development of the spinal column that could result in spina bifida.

You really NEED to come clean to your doctor so that you and your baby will be treated appropriately under these circumstances. Don't worry, we nurses and doctors hear much worse than this.

Jun 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I'm not here to judge you, but yes, there is a good chance that some damage was done to either the heart or the development of the spinal column that could result in spina bifida.

You really NEED to come clean to your doctor so that you and your baby will be treated appropriately under these circumstances. Don't worry, we nurses and doctors hear much worse than this.

My concern is CPS getting involved. It was a mistake I made before I knew... I feel like I'd be condemned if I told anyone, even though I would NEVER do this knowing I was pregnant.

By 'good chance' what do you mean? How soon could I know so I could decide to terminate the pregnancy?

The only way I could tell a Dr is if I lied and said I used it normally, but that wouldn't answer my question. So... what can I do?

I don't think I could bring myself to tell a Dr. I really don't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
    You tell doctors the truth, lying to them will not give them the proper knowledge to treat you or the baby. Your immature and childish nature, you may have caused a child to be handicapped and you are worried about CPS, You need to look into your soul and find some moral responibility and do what is right,

If you are not old enough or mature enough to do the right thing, you needed to keep your legs crossed, not doing what can cause children
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
    As far as I know, CPS gets involved only if there are living children being abused/neglected in some way, not when they're in utero. Like Fr_Chuck said, not telling the doctor will tie his hands and create an even worse outcome.

Aug 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
    Well I had an abortion, Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Hi Smiley, I guess you noticed I said make sure you see a doctor; I meant it. It is pretty important to do that after an abortion. But I thought you realized that we can't diagnose here on AMHD, incredibly hard to do when on the internet and you can't see the person face to face as a doctor can. How could we have told you what would happen to the fetus when you over-dosed?

I am not a rude person and I am a caring person, to anyone who comes here for help.

It just happens that we say things a poster is not happy hearing.

You made your own decision, one that you thought was necessary. I sleep well at night, and where were we judgmental, I wasn't, J-9 tried to help (she is a pediatric nurse by the way); and I hardly think Chuck was.

To re-iterate, you just didn't like the answers.

Now you can keep your opinions to yourself.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
    I think most of us here will sleep fine having seen the excellent advice you were given. If you had an abortion, it was due to your own decisions and actions, not due to the advice you received here. You can keep blaming others, but you will wonder for a long time what a Dr. may have told you. Nice try.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Ok you did a bad thing before you knew it was bad. But now you want to compound the bad thing by hiding it from the people who NEED to know to give you and the baby proper care. Yeah, I'm going to judge. TELL YOUR DOCTOR!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Ok you did a bad thing before you knew it was bad. But now you want to compound the bad thing by hiding it from the people who NEED to know to give you and the baby proper care. Yeah, I'm going to judge. TELL YOUR DOCTOR!
    Too late Scott, she already had an abortion.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Too late Scott, she already had an abortion.
    Oh I thought that was an earlier pregnancy. Probably for the best. She doesn't sound like someone who would make a good mother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Xanax Withdrawal? [ 4 Answers ]

Been taking up to 2 mgs of Xanax a day for only three weeks, am out, can't get a refill. Will I for sure have withdrawal problems?

Discontinuing Xanax [ 2 Answers ]

I have been taking for the past 7 years. It was first prescribed as a sleep aid (0.50 mg) and then for sleep and anxiety associated with depression. I now take 1 - 1.5 mg daily of Xanax XR (I have a prescription for up to 2 mg/day). It has lost its effectiveness for sleep, and I would prefer to...

Placebo that looks like xanax [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone tell me a vitamin or herb that looks like xanax. A male friend of mine has cancer already has had surgery and he is worried all the time he is wanting more than is allowed just too soon.we thought if we could find something harmless and looked like what he is taking which is blue and...

Xanax detection [ 1 Answers ]

How long will xanax be detectable via ua?

View more questions Search