Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
    Dogs and mirrors
    My puppy (4 months) is growing up so fast! He's started to venture out, discover new things.

I have a fairly large big screen in my bedroom, and he's never paid any attention to it. You can see its reflection in my dresser mirror. Last night he saw the reflection, not the TV itself, and barked and carried on. This AM he was standing on the bed, looking at his own reflection, and growling.

I don't think I've ever had a dog notice himself in a mirror before.

Is this common?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 11:31 AM
    My dog doesn't even seem to notice himself in the mirror but he does notice other dogs on TV, which amuses me.

I have had a cat that that played with his own reflection.

I guess it all depends on the personality of the animal.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
    We have a full length mirror leading back into the hallway to exam rooms at work.
    Most dogs pay no attention, some startle, some want to play, some growl, just all depends on the dog.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 06:27 AM
    Judy, I didn't know you got a new puppy! Congrats. I guess that's what I get for not being around. I've had a few puppy's do that before. When I first got Fischer, I have a full length mirror in my bathroom, he went crazy for the first week or so. At first he would growl with his haunches up, and then he would do the play bow, now he stares in it, but I think he "knows" it's him now. I think it's so cute when he licks it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Judy, I didn't know you got a new puppy! Congrats. I guess that's what I get for not being around. I've had a few puppy's do that before. When I first got Fischer, I have a full lenght mirror in my bathroom, he went crazy for the first week or so. At first he would growl with his haunches up, and then he would do the play bow, now he stares in it, but I think he "knows" it's him now. I think it's so cute when he licks it.

Yes, a Rott/Shepherd rescue, but he's growing up to be a Rott. My Vet sees very little Shepherd in him. He's smart, he's been one of the best puppies I've ever had.

Thanks -
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
    Have you posted a pic some where?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movies with mirrors [ 2 Answers ]

I can remember seeing a movie years ago, but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was about a group of adults who realise the have to try to get their childhood friend out of a mirror having accidentally trapped her in their during a game when they were kids. Anyone know what...

Convex mirrors [ 3 Answers ]

A dedicated sports car enthusiast polishes the inside and outside surfaces of a hubcap that is a section of a sphere. When he looks into one side of the hubcap, he sees an image of his face 30.0cm in back of it. He then turns the hubcap over, keeping it the same distance from his face. He now sees...

Bathroom mirrors [ 2 Answers ]

We have a large bathroom mirror that has probably been attached to the wall for approx, twelve years. It is about seven feet wide, and three and a half feet tall. How does one go about removing it. Or, is this a job whereby you call in a contractor? It appears that it is attached by adhesive, or...

Working On Mirrors [ 4 Answers ]

I Need To Cut Some Mirrors And Also Cut/drill Some Holes In Them. What Tools Do I Need To Do This And How Do I Do It?

Fogged mirrors [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the bathroom mirror become fogged while you are taking a shower?

View more questions Search