Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doncgarner Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
    My 1965 Ford Fairlane Won't Start
    I have a 1965 Ford Fairlane with the Original Straight 6 engine. I changes EVERYTHING and replaced it with new parts concerning components that make the car engine run. Tune-Up, The starter, alternator, ignition coil, battery wires, plugs/wires & rotor/distributor, added a conversion kit also, New Battery, New Holley Carb (1 Barrel), New Gas Line, Brakes, Shocks, Wipers, Oil Changes, New Radiator & Hoses, Everything under the hood is NEW! The car ran fine for 1 Year Drove in the Woodward Dream Cruise 2010 it was so quiet you couldn't tell it was running when standing next to it. (Had Some Speed/Power Even... lol)

The Problem started after I parked it for 7 months During the winter. I went to start it, and it ran REALLY HARD the 1st time it cranked. Then I tried to drive it, and it was put-putting real bad, so I shut the engine off. I then tried to Re-Start it, and all I got was A CLICK!! The Battery was fully charged, and it drained super fast. I took I got it Charged to full capacity tried it again, and CLICK!! Then NOTHING, No Lights, No Radio, No Start. I Then Parked it out of frustration. I Replaced the Battery twice... Same thing keeps happening... CLICK, and NO Start even with a Fully charged Battery. One of my New Battery cables was pulled out of connector by my son, I put it back together, and since then been having this problem of No Start, Clicking when trying to start, and battery Drain.

I went out the other day with a fully charged battery, I tried to start it again after about 3 weeks of no success. Then... Turned the key, CLICK!! I Still Have Lights and a Fully Charged Battery... But Nothing But A CLICK, Then No Start Still. What Could Be Wrong With This Car, Preventing It Form Starting? Please Help, it has to be something Really Simple I'm missing.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
    "Car (Starter Motor) Won't Crank"

. Ensure the battery is fully charged, before diagnosing starter problems.
    . Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    . Ensure the gearshift is in Neutral or Park (automatic transmission), or the clutch pedal is depressed (manual transmission), if the starter motor does not turn at all when the ignition switch is turned to Start.

1. If the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections.

2. Disconnecting the negative battery cable first, clean battery terminals and cable connections with a battery terminal brush, No. 240 abrasive cloth, or steel wool. Also, check the battery ground cable connection to the body and engine. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished.

3. While the negative battery cable is disconnected, clean starter motor and starter solenoid connections. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished. Make sure all connections are secure. When installing the starter cable, make sure that the crimped side of the ring terminal is facing out. Reconnect the negative battery terminal last.

4. If the starter motor spins but the engine is not cranking, the overrunning clutch in the starter motor is slipping and the starter motor must be replaced. Also, the ring gear on the flywheel or drive plate may be worn.

5. If the solenoid plunger cannot be heard when the switch is actuated, the battery is bad, the fusible link is burned (circuit is open), or the solenoid is defective.

6. In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

7. If the starter motor cranks the engine slowly, ensure the battery is fully charged and all terminal connections are clean and tight. Then, check connections at the starter solenoid and battery ground. The engine will also crank slowly, if it’s partially seized or has the wrong viscosity oil in it. Synthetic engine oil allows starter motors to turn the engine over easier and faster, thus promoting starting and reducing battery drain.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2012, 05:01 AM
    Check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting, after disconnecting the negative battery cable.

When you installed the new distributor, did it include new points and condenser? Did you use a timing light to set the timing?

Jun 17, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting, after disconnecting the negative battery cable.

When you installed the new distributor, did it include new points and condenser? Did you use a timing light to set the timing?
    The points were changed, or the conversion kit made them not have to be changed, I can't remember. The mechanic said something about, the timing ma have to be set. But the car was running great.

Jun 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    "Car (Starter Motor) Won't Crank"

. Ensure the battery is fully charged, before diagnosing starter problems.
    . Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    . Ensure the gearshift is in Neutral or Park (automatic transmission), or the clutch pedal is depressed (manual transmission), if the starter motor does not turn at all when the ignition switch is turned to Start.

1. If the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections.

2. Disconnecting the negative battery cable first, clean battery terminals and cable connections with a battery terminal brush, No. 240 abrasive cloth, or steel wool. Also, check the battery ground cable connection to the body and engine. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished.

3. While the negative battery cable is disconnected, clean starter motor and starter solenoid connections. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished. Make sure all connections are secure. When installing the starter cable, make sure that the crimped side of the ring terminal is facing out. Reconnect the negative battery terminal last.

4. If the starter motor spins but the engine is not cranking, the overrunning clutch in the starter motor is slipping and the starter motor must be replaced. Also, the ring gear on the flywheel or drive plate may be worn.

5. If the solenoid plunger cannot be heard when the switch is actuated, the battery is bad, the fusible link is burned (circuit is open), or the solenoid is defective.

6. In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

7. If the starter motor cranks the engine slowly, ensure the battery is fully charged and all terminal connections are clean and tight. Then, check connections at the starter solenoid and battery ground. The engine will also crank slowly, if it’s partially seized or has the wrong viscosity oil in it. Synthetic engine oil allows starter motors to turn the engine over easier and faster, thus promoting starting and reducing battery drain.

I'm going to try some of the tip today or tomorrow, and see if that's it. I thought it might be the battery cable, the solenoid is Brand New also. And the wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Won't start-deck engage switch is causing it to start or not start [ 0 Answers ]

I must engage deck plunger several times to get the tractor to start sometimes it never starts 1 year old-aprill 2011

74 chevy truck will turn over but won't start. Will start with starter fluid but won't [ 1 Answers ]

My 74 chevy pickup sat over the winter and now it won't start. I was running just fine before I let it sit. It turns over but won't start. If I use starter fluid, it will start but won't stay running. I don't smell gas in the carb either. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or the filter. Problem...

my john deere z 425 won't start, it turns over but won't start [ 0 Answers ]

my john deere z 425 won't start, it turns over but won't start. I keep turning it over but it never cranks. It only has 150 hours on it

Title for 1965 ford [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1965 ford I bought from a guy. I never got back with him to get the title. I am having trouble locating him. Looking in the car the last time it had any registration was in 1981. Any help on how I could go about getting a title?

1964 Ford Fairlane... Died and Won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Quick history. Rebuilt the car in High School. Ran for about two years. Had brittle wire problems so put the car down for about 5 years. Just rewired the whole car, rebuilt the carburetor, and replaced the ignition switch. I licensed and registered the car and drove it from my parents house to...

View more questions Search