Ask
    nani haz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
    High school in new country!
    Hi guys I hope that all of you fine
    I am a girl from Saudi Arabia, I'm 16 years old
    And I'm coming to Minnesota for high school
    I want to know how to make people accept me,, it will be a new environment
    And what are the things that I should do and that I shouldn't do ?
    And I need some advices about everything please!
    Thank you so much!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
    You have a huge adventure ahead of you. Just enjoy it, be yourself, and maybe you'll teach people about your part of the world just as much as you'll learn about the new part of the world you're visiting.

Be open to making new friends, and just let yourself have some fun.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nani haz View Post
    Hi guys i hope that all of you fine
    I am a girl from Saudi Arabia, i'm 16 years old
    and i'm coming to Minnesota for high school
    I want to know how to make people accept me ,,, it will be a new environment
    and what are the things that i should do and that I shouldn't do ?
    and i need some advices about everything please !!
    Thank you so much !!

Part of your "charm" will be that you are new, from another Country. My advice would be to be yourself. I would think one of the biggest problems will be how to dress - Minnesota can get very cold!

Do you know anyone in Minnesota? With luck there will be a neighbor to take you under her wing, introduce you.

It's hard to be the new kid in high school.
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Part of your "charm" will be that you are new, from another Country. My advice would be to be yourself. I would think one of the biggest problems will be how to dress - Minnesota can get very cold!

Do you know anyone in Minnesota? With luck there will be a neighbor to take you under her wing, introduce you.

It's hard to be the new kid in high school.
    It's definitely not going to be easy. I don't think I could do it. It's a huge adventure, exciting, but also scary.

I do remember many exchange students when I was in school. They always did very well, because of the difference, everyone wanted to get to know them. Of course, I'm in Canada, so it may be different here, even though it's also very cold here in the winter. ;)

I don't know how long the OP will be in the US, maybe only a year? My advice would be to jump in feet first, enjoy every moment, never pass up an opportunity to talk to people, meet people, and learn all you can.

My cousin from Germany spent a year with us, his 12th in school. There was another exchange student in our school in 12th grade at the same time. They still keep in touch and that was over 20 years ago.

I can only go by what my cousin experienced while he was here with us. His experience was a bit different, because he stayed with family, people he knew. Still, to this day he says that the year he spent with us, was the best time of his life. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
    And be sure to bring some homemade baklava to share at lunchtime!

Jun 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Thank you so much guys , I'll do what you said
    I am very scared,and the problem is I don't know anyone there, and my English is not good that much
    I don't know how many years I'll stay
    I love all of you and thank you again <3

Jun 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Lol don't worry I'll bring baklava and kabsa :D
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nani haz View Post
    thank you so much guys , i'll do what u said
    I am very scared,and the problem is i don't know anyone there, and my English is not good that much
    i don't know how many years i'll stay
    i love all of you and thank you again <3
    Your English is just fine. In fact, you write better than many US natives do. You'll learn even more when you get to the States. :)

Keep us posted on how it all goes. I'm so excited for you. This is a great experience, one you'll remember your whole life. :)

Jun 15, 2012, 07:05 PM
    Thank you so much madam you are so friendly , of course I'll keep posted how it all goes you made me happy and excited!
    Stader Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Honesty lol don't worry yourself about what every one else is thinking. People will encourage you to... be yourself and be unique. But the mire special and different you become people will almost shun you away. Because you no longer fit in.
    So don't be accepted. Be yourself. Let your friends come to you. They will. Just hve fun. Relaxe enjoy life your young. And see what happens. Ir you might miss the wonderfuly amazingly miracles that will and do unfold. And keep a third point if veiw.
    Please didn't forget those loving people that have been there all along. Like familyand your ol best friends.
    Stader Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And be sure to bring some homemade baklava to share at lunchtime!
    Wow baklava ohh so good.opppppp pp ahhhhh
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
    You will do just
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 08:10 PM
    You will do just fine! Minnesota has so much to do and explore! Join clubs and make friends. Your teachers and counselors will help you along the way. Good luck and have fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get on US college if you finish high school in some other country? How? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey My name is Matija, I'm from Slovenia. I have also big dreams-to study in USA. I'm wondering who on college do you need to contact and I really need somebody to tell me steps to sign up to college. My plan is to go on Florida State. So whoever helps me I will really appreciate it. The reason...

I have a high school diploma from another country [ 1 Answers ]

I have high school diploma from morocco and I want to finish my studies in USA . I don't speak English very well . Can someone tell me what I have to do? please.

Is it OK to join another high school in a different country when still in High School [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I am a Ugadan who I badly wants to leave the school am in and go to another country and get on with my studies. My parents are willing to pay any amount of money to make sure I go.Is it possible to join another High School outside my country even though I am not done with High school. If...

Is a high school diploma from another country valid here in the U.S? [ 4 Answers ]

Is a High school diploma from a different country valid here in the U.S? Can someone please let me know, I was born here in California but when I was fourteen y/o my parents decided to move to Mexico and I finished high school over there and decided to come back for College. But I need to know...

View more questions Search