Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JTSpen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 10:41 AM
    Where can I find shared driveway rights?
    My neighbor extended the rear of their home, they removed their garage for the extension. When I moved into my property, a fence was there separating our garages and property, so neither of us is able to park in our garages. My neighbor has put a basketball hoop in the driveway. Their boys are constantly hitting our windows with the basketball, I've already had to replace window screens that were damaged from their playing ball in the driveway. I have complained to the parents, yet they still play ball and still hit our windows. What can I do to stop them from playing ball in the driveway legally?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JTSpen View Post
    My neighbor extended the rear of their home, they removed their garage for the extension. When I moved into my property, a fence was there separating our garages and property, so neither of us is able to park in our garages. My neighbor has put a basketball hoop in the driveway. Their boys are constantly hitting our windows with the basketball, I've already had to replace window screens that were damaged from their playing ball in the driveway. I have complained to the parents, yet they still play ball and still hit our windows. What can I do to stop them from playing ball in the driveway legally?
    Nothing if they have rights to use of the driveway. You don't own it any more than they do.
    cuteshoes337 Posts: 13, Reputation: -6

Jun 15, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Smoothy, I completely disagree. If their activities in a shared space are causing damage to *private* property, there must be some way to put a stop to it. What sort of neighborhood is this-- Are these apartment type homes or is there an HOA? That would definitely be the easiest way to address this. Either way, find a way to document the damage the neighbors are doing to your house and your requests for it to stop.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteshoes337 View Post
    Smoothy, I completely disagree. If their activities in a shared space are causing damage to *private* property, there must be some way to put a stop to it. What sort of neighborhood is this-- Are these apartment type homes or is there an HOA? That would definitely be the easiest way to address this. Either way, find a way to document the damage the neighbors are doing to your house and your requests for it to stop.
    Can you present any proof how ONE party has ANY legal authority over another in a mutually shared space? (If they were playing at 3am there would be a reason) I'm speaking during normal daytime hours when noise ordances aren't in effect.

Damage of private property is remedied world wide by the party that causes the damage paying for repairs. I assume you have already been doing that. If not... you should have.

They break it they bought it when it comes to windows.

You can't stop them from playing basketball... but you can make them pay for the damages they do. When they do it. That alone should be enough pressure for the parents.

But you know what... if there isn't an easement... tick off the neighbors and see how fast a privacy fence (or even a series of metal poles and chain link) can go up and prevent you from using your garage again...

Actions have consequences... think twice before trying something. Trust me... been making life hard for neighbors that thought they had more rights than I had for decades... INCLUDING cutting off acess to their garages over a dispute when a lions share of the driveway fell on MY property to begin with... they've had to make 3 point turns to get in or out out of their garage for the last 25 years as a result. And they had to cut down 15 mature trees to put in a driveway on THEIR poperty just to get to them. And there were many other things too... many of which they were getting away with illegally for decades... but ended real quick...

Poperty rights are a two way street... sometimes its better to suck it up than start a feud that does nobody any good.

Digital Security camera systems can be had for less than $200. Set one up for that area... then you have video proof if something gets broke and they deny it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
    Smoothy, you are legally correct. In this case it helps to check the other/background posts when "legal" advice is offered. It's been incorrect or incomplete.

Has OP talked to the neighbors about this? That might be a place to start.

If the driveway activity is legal within legal hours... it's their property. Ever live near kids with a garage band?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteshoes337 View Post

Where is the legal advice? This is the real estate LAW forum. "... there must be a way to put a stop to it" is not legal advice. If the OP knew what would put a stop to it I'm sure the OP would do it.

Same with "find a way." After the OP "finds a way" (and you can't help with that, either) what does the OP do with the "proof"?
    cuteshoes337 Posts: 13, Reputation: -6

Jul 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
    If they are repeatedly damaging your personal property, there must be some higher powers that be that can be turned to. The goal is not to prevent the game playing, but the destruction of private property.

Has OP talked to the neighbors about this? That might be a place to start.
    It has already been stated in OP's post that they have spoken to the children's parents. Unless the children live separate from their parents, I assume they were talking about these "neighbors."

"... there must be a way to put a stop to it" is not legal advice. If the OP knew what would put a stop to it I'm sure the OP would do it.
    I agree. I also do not know the specifics of what your town's laws or ordinances are, and therefore my best effort is to advise you to seek higher powers that be. I state again, there must be a way to put a stop to it-- there is no reason that you should tolerate destruction of property on a repeated basis, and if the people responsible are being uncooperative, there are people to turn to. An HOA, or landlord is a good bet. Perhaps another poster knows of another venue to pursue, or other neighbors might be experiencing/have experienced similar problems and could shed light on the situation.

I suppose small claims court might be another answer, but given the only damage described was to a couple of window screens, that seems a bit extreme. :-p

Smoothy describes some cute passive-aggressive tactics to remedy the situation-- and the whole thing kind of reminds me of the time someone repeatedly parked their car in my parents' driveway every day for two weeks straight, so one evening my sisters, father and I surrounded their car with our own cars and left home until 3am (the neighbor said she called the police on us, and the cops laughed at her and called her a cab. She never parked in our driveway again)...

*ahem* still, aim for the high road. Much better course of action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Rights of a Shared Driveway [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shared drive with my next door neighbour who is an 83 year old lady. The drive leads to two garages which neither of us use. This lady is very protective of her side of the drive and keeps posting "Do Not Tresspass" signs and telling us not to walk or stand on her side of the drive. I have...

Legal Rights of a Shared Driveway [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a property in foreclosure, the driveway entrance is to a private road, the driveway has been in existence since 1977 when the house was built. The neighbor has blocked the entrance to the house saying the road is on his property,with pipe and barbed wire so we can't cross to the driveway...

Shared driveway with a fence at back part of driveway [ 2 Answers ]

We have a shared driveway with our neighbours. The portion of our driveway that is closest to back of house and yard is so narrow that it is impossible to park a car there. As a result we decided to fence in that portion of our upper driveway to add to our patio area. We built the fence in approx 6...

Shared Driveway maintenance and rights [ 3 Answers ]

We have a house that was built in 1929 and have a driveway that we share with our neighbouts. The entrance to the driveway is wide enough for only one car but two cars can be parked at the end of the driveway. The driveway is black topped and we have been paying the bill for the black topping. ...

Shared Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

We live in Maryland on a shared roadway/driveway--our house is at the very front of the property. There are 6 other residents on the road. We are having a disagreement regarding how the cost of repairing the road should be shared. Because we only have acess to 50% of the road, we think that we...

View more questions Search