Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdrobey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 05:03 AM
    Troy bilt mulching lawnmower won't stay running
    I tipped my lawnmower over completely. I am trying to replace blade and was successful. My lawnmower starts but doesnot stay running. It spits and sputters. My wife took out the spark plug and cleaned it and sanded the end of the plug. What is my problem and can you help me?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 07:14 AM
    You likely have oil in the combustion chamber, never tip over an engine. Also never sand a spark plug. Remove the plug, spray some carb cleaner in the hole and let it sit while you go buy a new plug. If you don't have a feeler gauge ask the store to gap the plug for you.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 15, 2012, 07:17 AM
    In general, lawn mowers and the like, are fairly primitive beasts in the engine world. Only two things can really go wrong, Electrics or fuel.

Pretty sure it's not an electrical problem unless it's a trapped or crushed wire and when it heats up it becomes pliable enough to short to the chassis.

I am pretty sure that it's to do with the fuel line. If you turned the mower upside down, I reckon you have an air lock, which explains why it starts and then stops.

How long doe sthe mower stay running?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Hi,
    It is certainly an oil contaminated(and/or gas) air filter. Try a 491588 air filter.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troy Bilt Pony Mulching [ 1 Answers ]

Brand new Pony w/mulching block installed. It does not mulch on first pass. It is necessary to go back over each row after it has been mowed. Instead of getting a discharge "line" at the side, there is a discharge "line" beneath.

Troubleshoot Troy Bilt Riding Lawnmower [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get riding lawnmower Troybilt started it shut off while mowing?

Pony troy bilt 8sp rideon mower will not stay running [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Pony troy Bilt 8sp mower. The battery never is enough to start the tractor (because its not used enough), so I always put a charger on the battery for a few hours and than it starts. However, recently I tried this and it would not work. Now when I hook up the cables on my charger, it...

Troy-Bilt lawnmower electrical problem [ 2 Answers ]

Ihave an older Troy-Bilt riding lawnmower that stopped running for no apparent reason. When we checked the battery it was dead and couldn't be charged. Got a new battery and the lawnmower started and ran for awhile (couple of days) then would not start and the same story again. Took it to...

Troy Bilt 6.5 HP B&S Mulching Mower [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a tough time keeping the mower running. For the past couple of weeks, when I started it, it raced then would eventually idle down. Now, it turns over but won't remain running. I cleaned the air filter, changed the gas and cleaned out the carb. HELP!! The grass grows fast in Florida!!...

View more questions Search