Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rollinghills Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
    Beam size to replace load-bearing wall
    We are removing a load-bearing wall that will leave a 15 1/2' opening. What size beam will we need that we won't have to have a post in center? It is a single story home with basement.

Check out some similar questions!

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

What's the proper beam size to replace a 15' 2x4 load bearing wall? [ 8 Answers ]

"I'm remodeling an apartment that was once a 2 story garage with a gambrel roof (barn style), with a 10ft wide dormer on one side of the roof. It was originally converted to an apartment back in the fifties. The upstairs is one large bedroom. with 4ft knee walls supporting the roof rafters. The...

Proper sizing a beam to replace a load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to remove 15' of wall between my living room and kitchen. It's the center bearing wall of a two story colonial. On the second floor are bedrooms. The existing floor joists are 2x8's 16" on center. Normal snow load, gable roof bearing on outside walls. Basically I'm supporting the floor...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.