Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    telly9 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Jun 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
    I need advice...
    I've recently started working for a charity. I need to get people to sign up to the charity to give monthly donations. I've been given a dialogue to stick to which I've been doing. I've been given a target of 3 sign ups per day.

My firrst day I got 1 but the man who signed up was really interested personally in the charity. Second day, 2 people signed, again one man's brother was personally interested in who the charity represents and the second I think signed because she just wanted to get me away from her door. Today was my third day and only one person signed. I knock on around 100 or more doors per day.

My question is, does anyone have any advice on how to best sell what this charity stands for. I'm more or less selling the people something but they're not getting any product or service in return. The team leaders say the people who sign are buying YOU... But how do I get someone to 'buy me'?

Is there any special tones of voice or body language to use or avoid?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Do YOU believe in the charity? If so, does this come through when you give your spiel?

I long ago worked as a telemarketer and was able to use my own words instead of the script I had been given. I did a lot better with my own script and style of relating to the potential donor because I tailor-made it to reflect my personality and beliefs. The canned script was just not me.

Thus, I like to play with the scripts and delivery when telemarketers call me.

Jun 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
    Definitely, yes, I do believe in the charity. I actually signed up to it myself. I've been told to stick to the script and formula they ggave me but I do swerve away from it a little.

My team leader seems great at getting people to donate and he's saying pretty much the same thing as me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
    Then you will have to memorize your spiel so it is part of you. Practice it until it is totally you. Work on facial expressions and body language and voice tones. Perform in front of a friend or relative (or child, the most honest and critical) who will evaluate how you do.

Jun 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
    When you say tones and body language do you mean be really upbeat or should I be more lower in my voice? I sound like a fool but they say if you ask a silly questions you look a fool for a few minutes. You don't ask, you're a fool for life... or something like that anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Please, Please any advice would have use! [ 10 Answers ]

I am looking for any kind help dealing with my husbands ex wife and the games she is playing dealing with child support and visitation with the kids. My husband makes regular child support payments of $640 a month exculding one month where he was unemployed. If you can help by answering one or all...

I want to get your advice, to make sure I am giving the correct advice [ 4 Answers ]

A friend of mine emailed me her question, knowing that I have gone through the custody thing before myself. She asked me when she can file abandonment on her sons father. I want to run by you what I am emailing her back to make sure I give her the correct information. Thank you for your help :)

Advice please? [ 1 Answers ]

I think I am being followed by some sort of ghost or something. Let me start by saying I lived in a haunted house when I was younger. We didn't know this about the house when we first moved in, but before it was a house it was the first hospital of that town. I was about five when we moved in. I...

I need advice! [ 14 Answers ]

:confused: I just found out I'm pregnant by my ex. He was physically and emotionally abusive. He told me the last time we spoke that if I ever became pregnant by him he would do "anything necessary to get rid of it". I decided not to tell him but I just thought of a very big problem, I go back to...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

View more questions Search