Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbspeterlee Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Should My Spouse Depend on my H1B or Green Card APPLICANT Status
    Assume I'm married and in the US, but my wife is not in the US. My wife wants to move to stay with me.

I'm now under H1B work status, and my company is going to help me apply for the Green Card in October 2012.

1. Should I ask her to apply for the H4 or wait to apply as Green Card APPLICANT's dependent (can she?) when I start applying for the Green Card in October 2012?

2. Which one is better for her?

3. If Green Card APPLICANT's dependent is the better choice, can she work?

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Does any know this? Thanks.
    maddy6 Posts: 108, Reputation: 12

Jul 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
    Green Card Applicant is the better choice. No, she cannot work.

Jul 31, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy6 View Post
    Green Card Applicant is the better choice. No, she cannot work.
    Thanks for your reply. Do you know how much time she has to wait to come here stay in the USA after we submit my Green Card application (including her as my dependent)? I believe, there will be several phases for the Green Card application.
    maddy6 Posts: 108, Reputation: 12

Jul 31, 2012, 06:22 PM
    It requires some research to get the definitive answer (you can look it up on on uscis.gov), but if you apply for her to enter the U.S. as a resident, she can go to work immediately.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2012, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbspeterlee View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Do you know how much time she has to wait to come here stay in the USA after we submit my Green Card application (including her as my dependent)? I believe, there will be several phases for the Green Card application.

Here's the info on applying for a green card - Family-Based Green Card

She cannot work on an H4 visa. In fact the holder of the original H visa HAS to support her.

That narrows down your choices.

Aug 15, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy6 View Post
    It requires some research to get the definitive answer (you can look it up on on uscis.gov), but if you apply for her to enter the U.S. as a resident, she can go to work immediately.
    OK. Hmmm, I'm still wondering how long she has to wait until she comes to stay with me (forget her working eligibility, just staying with me in the US.)?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2012, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbspeterlee View Post
    OK. Hmmm, I'm still wondering how long she has to wait until she comes to stay with me (forget her working eligibility, just staying with me in the US.)?

Did you read the site I posted?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I save status from temporary green card to permanent green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm from india I'm newly coming in the US my marriage done in the 2009 and then they bring my document here in the US and the file it here and I get visa in December and I came to US in January 2010 after one month of marriage they left me because of gold and money needed more they findout my...

After getting green card on L1, how can I apply green card for my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

I have applies for L1 which is approved and now I am planning to apply for green card, living here in U.S with my children, my lawyer suggest me not apply I-129F for my spouse due to some complications, he also suggested me to get the green card for myself first and then he will apply my spouse...

Status on conditional Green card while spouse files for divorce [ 6 Answers ]

My spouse and I have been married for 3 years. We didn't file for GC for 1 year after marriage. The two year conditional GC is coming up for renewal in Dec. I (US Citizen) filed for divorce in June, immigrant was served papers at the end of September. We are talking about working it out and I'm...

H1B status after married green card holder [ 1 Answers ]

My H1B visa will expire in 2010. I plan to marry with 2-year-green card holder. Will I get green card too? How long does it take? And if I quit my job after I married, am I still legel to stay in US? Can I go out of US and come back? Give me some advise pleassssssse

View more questions Search