Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
    House sold, mortgage released, how can I still owe $
    I sold my house in January 2003 in a HUD and lender approved short sale. HUD is saying that I took out a loan with them in December 2001 for over $4000, and now I owe them the money plus interest and late fees. Here's some background about the "loan". When I fell behind in my mortgage, because I was laid off, someone from my mortgage company contacted me with this deal. They would take what I was behind, and roll it back into my mortgage and then give me a bye on my payments for the next 4 months, so I could have a little time to get myself back together monetarily. I went into the office, signed the paperwork, and thought that was that. (I did not read what I was signing just believed what the lady was telling me. Stupid move, I know, lesson learned.) Here's my question: HUD is now saying that I owe them that money back even though the house is sold, do I?

Here is the EXACT quote from part of my closing paperwork, minus my name and document # of course. "Cancellation and release of mortgage from MY NAME, to the Secretary of HUD in the amount of $4235.15, dated December 1, 2001 and filed for record on February 15, 2002 at 1:05 p.m. as Instrument No. 200202.........., Recorder's Office, Franklin County, Ohio."

I have sent these documents to HUD, and they are still stating that I have to pay them. I don't understand, if it was part of the sale of the house how do I owe them any more money? Shouldn't the title company that prepared the closing paperwork be held responsible for not correctly distributing the funds? If I go to court over this, and win, can I make HUD pay my attorney fees?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Send you claim to the title company as well, they should have caught this. Was title insurance paid?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 01:25 PM
    It appears that HUD released the mortgage, which was the security for the loan, but may not have released the mortgage note, which was the actual obligation for you to pay. The release of the mortgage is what allowed your sale to go forward.

If they had released the mortgage note then you should have received the original note marked "Paid in Full".

You need to bring all of your closing paperwork to an attorney for careful review. Prior to the closing there should have been a payoff statement issued by HUD to the closing agent listing the amount that would be necessary for the loan to be paid in full and released. If the closing agent distributed that full amount then HUD should not be able to go after you for any additional balance.

Make sure you also provide your attorney with your copies of the paperwork you signed with HUD back in 2002.
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 27, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I never received a release notice from HUD or my mortgage company. (Mortgage company was bought out by another company right after my closing. Had to petition their legal dept for the actual release.)

Through all my research I've found that a lot of the paperwork from the sale was never filed with the county. Crappy work on the title company's part. That's why I was wondering if possibly they didn't distribute the funds correctly. (Of course they are no longer in business, and I can't find out what they did with their paperwork.)

Mr. Yet - To answer your question, yes title insurance was paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Add name to house deeds but not mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the UK. My partner and I own a house, but at the moment the mortgage is in his name and only his name appears on the house deeds. The reason why the mortgage was not in joint names initially is because I was unemployed at the time of applying. I have contacted several solicitors to...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

Tax question - sold house in UK [ 3 Answers ]

Hi folks Can anyone help me with the following question? I have just moved to the US from the UK, where I have sold my house in preparation for buying one here. I have transferred just over $75K in equity from the house sale to my account in the US. I'm pretty sure I don't have to pay any tax on...

House in Estate sold after 15 years [ 5 Answers ]

My mother passed away in 1990 and my brother, sister and I inherited her property which consisted of a small house. However her will stipulated that we could not sell the House until after my daughter turned 25, which was in Oct of 2006. This meant that we were to rent the house and the proceeds...

House deeds and car title tied up on mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Can the bank tie a car title into a home mortgage loan?

View more questions Search