Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blaydelk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
    How long to carbonize/mineralize wood
    I recently discovered an interesting outcrop on a stream, I showed an image of the bank that was cut to a geologist who said the top 15 to 20 feet were loess which are ontop of a layer of grey (black when wet) clay like material. The gelolgist confirmed that the boundary between the loess and the black material was a disconformity and that the black material would be well over 10,000 years old because of the loess deposited on top. Here is the question I went back to see if there was any carbonized wood in it and what I found were pieces of actual wood, some of which had either burned or begun to carbonize. Is it possible for wood to still be wood in a layer that old?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
    It can be if it has been underwater and just recently exposed. But don't quote me on it. I think it depends on pH of the water and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 1 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 0 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

How to install wood fencing panels using existing wood fence posts [ 1 Answers ]

Posts are set at same distance required for panels

Removal of wood adhesive from wood subfloor [ 4 Answers ]

How do you remove wood adhesie from a subfloor? I want to install strand bamboo in a master bath. My contracter put 1/4 inch plywood over it but it crunches when you walk on it. Im afraid he tried to provide a smooth surface but didn't get rid of the initial problem-the ADHESIVE. I don't want a...

Hi how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry. The gentleman who installed the cabinets inadvertently rubbed the glue on the cabinet itself... it looks awful.. thanks

View more questions Search