Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Rick wouldn't even afford me a reply when I asked. I know he has a sibling with cancer (mentioned last January) so I let it go. Yet he is here quite often answering all sorts of questions, just not this one. It seems a very strange way to run a contest, and even stranger still is the lack of attention to the whole reason for it - reaching 2 milestones.

Anyone who thinks I am going to stop volunteering my time (neither the word 'volunteer' nor 'time' really have anything to do with why I am here) is mistaken. Or who wants to imply that I shouldn't want my contest winnings because they volunteer, or because they didn't get what they were promised. I want what was promised. If it's not forthcoming, so be it. I'm not going to sue Advizo LLC. But my opinion of the owners and Rick are pretty low.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Rick's sister passed away and he had taken a month off after that, but has returned.

I'd send you your [w]innings plus some caramel brownies if I knew your address. ;) Of course, Rick has first dibs on doing that.
    current pert

Sep 4, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Yes Wondergirl! caramel brownies and baseball at my place, extra innings.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Yes Wondergirl!, caramel brownies and baseball at my place, extra innings.
    Ha, ha. You caught me on the typo. Of course, I will root for the White Sox. Do you want cold milk or hot coffee with the brownies?
    current pert

Sep 4, 2012, 12:03 PM
    The White Sox vs the Red Sox? Interesting.
    I just heard that Mrs. O'Leary was officially exonerated.
    I'll provide the Fenway Franks and green beer.
    I'd love coffee the first inning, and milk after.
    If I have to choose - milk.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Hope you aren't allergic to pecan halves, chocolate, or caramel. Since I like you a lot, you can have both milk and coffee. Just let me know when for which one.
    current pert

Sep 4, 2012, 12:19 PM
    I like you too! I love pecans. I like to buy them in bulk in the fall from southern sellers on eBay who have their own groves, and they are super fresh. I'll send you some.
    I'm allergic to anything that has more than 10 calories but what the heck.
    Not crazy about hot dogs and don't even like beer, so can we skip them.
    I'll make this dessert I've been thinking about, with cream cheese, OJ, and chocolate ice box wafer cookies.
    After we are in total shock from sugar and caffeine, we can go out for dinner, eat two bites, and take home big doggie bags for the next day.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 03:33 PM
    J_9, this was a contest with two prizes. Where were you? It's the principle. Good grief.
    I don't welch, personally.
    Yes, I knew about the thread. There was a similar one several years ago and nothing ever came of it. That's why I chose not to participate in this one.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 04:07 PM
    I hate to be the logical one here, but unless there was a contract (most lotteries or contests have a contract) then the holder of the contest isn't legally obligated to fulfill their end of the contest.

No one paid to be a part of this contest, and most of the people that participated did so just to have some fun.

Fact is, there have been contests here before, there have also been other things offered (t-shirts etc) that never happened. It's a free site, your membership here is free.

I really can't believe that anyone would get upset because they're not getting a small prize for winning a contest on a free site. But, if it's that important to you, PM Admin (Roel) and tell him that you expect your prize for the contest Rick posted. Expect to wait 4 or more months to get a reply from Admin. Personally I don't see why anyone would bother, but it's your call.
    current pert

Sep 5, 2012, 12:06 AM
    1. It is logical to expect a free site to follow through on a contest and I'll bet a court would agree. (I've already stated that I wouldn't sue.)
    2. This site makes money off advertisers. They have a right to certain expectations. One might be that the site follow through on contests.
    3. I am not a welcher on even the most fun and trivial bet, with a friend, family, or stranger.
    4. I entered the contest for fun. It is ILLOGICAL to conclude that because I expect my prize that I didn't.
    5. Just because people here longer than I know about past contests that never materialized doesn't mean I'm expected to know that, nor do I see the relevance.
    5. Whether $100 is 'small' or not is subjective.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 02:31 AM
    1. It is logical to expect a free site to follow through on a contest and I'll bet a court would agree.
    Nope, sorry. As mentioned there has been no contract. You simply typed in your answer freely. Plus you could answer as often as you liked.
    2. This site makes money off advertisers. They have a right to certain expectations. One might be that the site follow through on contests.
    Irrelevant I'm afraid. Money pays for hosting the site, it's not all profit in owner's pockets.
    3. I am not a welcher on even the most fun and trivial bet, with a friend, family, or stranger.
    That's good.
    4. I entered the contest for fun. It is ILLOGICAL to conclude that because I expect my prize that I didn't.
    Illogical maybe but they are not legally obligated.
    5. Just because people here longer than I know about past contests that never materialized doesn't mean I'm expected to know that, nor do I see the relevance.
    Agreed.
    5. Whether $100 is 'small' or not is subjective.
    Actually it is totally subjective but it doesn't factor into anything.

The bottom line is that there was no legal obligation to go through with it. When they don't it's called bad faith. It annoys the members, if they are annoyed enough they leave so the ownership try to contain these type of issues if they want their business model to continue.
    current pert

Sep 5, 2012, 04:39 AM
    I'm ALMOST done. Then I think I'll go buy some lottery tickets. I don't have a contract with them either, but they follow through.

This bit about "Money pays for hosting the site, it's not all profit in owner's pockets" really has me choking. Please show me a viable company that doesn't have expenses in addition to profits. What is the meaning of that statement, please, NeedKarma?
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 04:59 AM
    The ad revenue helps pay for hosting the site on someone's server farm, and for the bandwidth... like all websites. I'm not aware of any other sources of revenue to pay for this. What am I missing?
    current pert

Sep 5, 2012, 05:29 AM
    You're missing the fact that expenses and profits are a given of any company, and that there are indeed profits here on AMHD - for the owners. To my mind that gives them a certain amount of responsibility to everyone, including their paying advertisers, to not run contests with fictitious prizes.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 05:54 AM
    I doubt there are much profits but I don't really care either way. This is simply a free website for my diversion, nothing more, nothing less.
    current pert

Sep 5, 2012, 06:07 AM
    (Now I feel like Carrie... I'm not really done.. )

To my mind, finding out that there have been AMHD contests in the past that never coughed up the promised prizes makes this all worse, not a relief. It's awful. WHY DO IT? Why not just have the blankety blank contests? I would still have tried to win. I love contests, games, competition. I do this all the time for no prize, no money.

But that's not the point is it?
    current pert

Oct 10, 2012, 02:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Yes, I knew about the thread. There was a similar one several years ago and nothing ever came of it. That's why I chose not to participate in this one.

Not true. I just heard from the winner, who received his $200.
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Not true. I just heard from the winner, who received his $200.
    Then ask that person how he got his prize, and do the same thing.

Really, there's nothing we can do to help you. I certainly am not going to pay for the prize, I don't have the money and I didn't start the contest.

So contact the person that started the contest and demand your prize.

I really don't understand why you started this thread. None of us can help you, only the owner of the site can and he doesn't read the discussion forum. He's hardly ever on the site.

Did you PM him?
    current pert

Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Then ask that person how he got his prize, and do the same thing.

Really, there's nothing we can do to help you. I certainly am not going to pay for the prize, I don't have the money and I didn't start the contest.

So contact the person that started the contest and demand your prize.

I really don't understand why you started this thread. None of us can help you, only the owner of the site can and he doesn't read the discussion forum. He's hardly ever on the site.

Did you PM him?

Yes I did contact the person who started the contest, and received no reply. I didn't 'demand my prize' however. I allowed a reason. I have had various messages from Ben.
    Apparently some people don't quite understand the principle involved, and the honor of not welching.
    As for why I started this thread? The question is why wouldn't I bring this to the community. Just because one of you can't help doesn't mean you should speak for everybody. And some people might actually be interested in this, including the other winner, or members at large.
    Pets Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Yes I did contact the person who started the contest, and received no reply. I didn't 'demand my prize' however. I allowed a reason. I have had various messages from Ben.
    Apparently some people don't quite understand the principle involved, and the honor of not welching.
    As for why I started this thread?? The question is why wouldn't I bring this to the community. Just because one of you can't help doesn't mean you should speak for everybody. And some people might actually be interested in this, including the other winner, or members at large.
    I do understand why you're upset. I don't understand why you're this upset. It's just a contest on a free website.

If you contacted the person that started the contest then I would suggest that you wait until that person contacts you.

I can't speak for everyone, but considering the posts on this thread, and the responses from the people that posted, I'd be safe in saying that no one really cares about this contest, except for you.

If you care, then keep PMing until you get what you want. That's really all you can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A company reports sales revenue of $200 million the current year and $180 million [ 0 Answers ]

13. A company reports sales revenue of $200 million the current year and $180 million last year. Their total assets in the current year are $150 million and last year's total assets were $130 million. What is the current year's asset turnover ratio? A. 1.48 B. 1.33 C. 1.36 D. 1.43

Calculate the ROE for Firm with total assets $16 million, AR $2.2 million, NI 2.5 mil [ 0 Answers ]

Total assets are $16 million, AR $2.2 million, ACP is 25 days, net income is 2.5 million and Debt to equity ratio is 1.2 times. Calculate the ROE for the firm.

Thanks a million [ 1 Answers ]

To all those who helped me out with my questions. I was also glad to help out those whose questions I answered. See you all later.

View more questions Search