Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CP1145 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 09:06 PM
    Looking for any opinions on what it takes to act.
    Hi.. I'm clearly new here. I'm sure that's easy to spot. So I apologize if this is not the correct place to put this or if this sounds really stupid. I just had a few questions on what traits it takes to be a solid actor. Obviously I have to know by doing it. That much is clear. And I do plan to take a few classes in college in the fall to experiment, but I just wanted a few opinions from people who deal with this kind of thing.

A bit about me... I'm currently 22 and in college. When I was younger (7-10 range) I did quite a few plays in school and I remember doing quite well. For example one play I remember one student would do the role one night, and another for the next night. But I did so well that I was made to do the role on both nights. When I got to high school I really didn't get into that crowd (more the jock/sport crowd) and fell out of it. But I see people like Josh Hutcherson who just have the talent and I just would like to know. Just to find out as I'm incredibly curious.

I basically read A LOT. And while I read I get so immersed in books and putting myself in the characters situation, feeling as if sometimes I AM the main character that if a part in the book is sad for the main character, I feel that sadness. Or if the main character is angry, I feel the anger before I realize what's going on and snap out of it. I just enjoy diving so far into something and priding myself on the ability to put myself in other peoples shoes in all situations and truly try to understand what is going on, how to feel and how they may react. It's different from watching a movie and thinking it's bullcrap that X character bombed X school etc. I literally put myself in that situation like it was me and assess it in my own mind and not as it goes on in the storyline. I get so immersed that people have to throw things at me to snap me out of it (lol). I'm not sure if that is relevant or not but I figured it's worth mentioning.

Another possibly non related issue is it doesn't matter what it is... any topic someone can suggest and (granted the person doesn't know what I'm doing) I can make someone believe that I am 100% positively serious in whatever it is I'm saying. Whether it's thinking Kool-Aid is spelled with a C or that the sky is in fact green. I can keep the I guess "character" until I purposely stop and someone believes I know what I'm talking about. Or think what I'm saying is true. As far as I can guess that takes quite a bit of acting to take something that you are not, and convince someone else that you are absolutely positively completely that way/person. Another one that I apologize if it sounds dumb and is irrelevant.

Sorry this is semi-long but I just wanted to get a few opinions as acting is always something I've been interested in. Always something I've thought I'd love to do but seen it as a longshot. I do want to note though that it's not something I'd do for money or recognition. I look at people like Brad Pitt or Robert De Niro and see how much pride they put in their work... and that's definitely something I'd like to see if I can do. Thanks for any help or opinions!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
    I suggest you do all sorts of stuff associated with acting -- storytelling with kids and adults, reading out loud, public speaking of any kind, working at jobs in customer service where you deal with all kinds of people and learn how they think. Take psych classes in college, especially Abnormal Psych and Theories of Personality. Spend time alone memorizing poetry or the dialogue from plays or monologues, and then recite (emotively?) to someone who's willing to listen. Join the college drama society and try out for parts in plays and musicals for adults and children (even if you end up being a minor character). Learn how to apply makeup for the drama society actors. Learn all about sets and backdrops and props. Jump into life with both feet!

Jun 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I suggest you do all sorts of stuff associated with acting -- storytelling with kids and adults, reading out loud, public speaking of any kind, working at jobs in customer service where you deal with all kinds of people and learn how they think. Take psych classes in college, especially Abnormal Psych and Theories of Personality. Spend time alone memorizing poetry or the dialogue from plays or monologues, and then recite (emotively?) to someone who's willing to listen. Join the college drama society and try out for parts in plays and musicals for adults and children (even if you end up being a minor character). Learn how to apply makeup for the drama society actors. Learn all about sets and backdrops and props. Jump into life with both feet!
    Thanks for the reply! A few of those I definitely do plan on doing, especially if I enjoy the acting class I plan to take. My only issue, and I apologize for not mentioning it above, is I'm a little iffy on the whole theatrical aspect of it. I know I put this in the Theater section but I read a few similar questions... I just forgot to specify. I'm not sure if I am too keen on the live acting type thing. I obviously wouldn't be picky and I'd give anything my all, but I would like to be more involved in things like TV acting... commercials... movies etc. I find the idea of being able to perfect something as I'm something of a perfectionist (unfortunately most of the time) using as many takes as you need. As I mentioned Josh Hutcherson who just delved right into TV acting, and that's something that I'd like to do. I'd obviously first see if I had enough talent to even consider attempting it, but I'd need to get as far as assessing my talent to find out.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
    If you have the drive, you don't need to ask what it takes or describe your past. You keep at the craft regardless of opinion using any means that works for you. Although all you describe about yourself sounds good so far, it means nothing when the reviewers and public decide how good you are. The key is to be prepared for some tough obstacles and rejection and to keep alive what you know you can do.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
    Acting for real and for a paycheck is down the road a bit, and maybe by that time, you will have changed your mind about how you want to do it. Four years of college make a huge difference in who you are! What about being a radio broadcaster or DJ, especially a good idea if your college has a station.

Jun 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    If you have the drive, you don't need to ask what it takes or describe your past. You keep at the craft regardless of opinion using any means that works for you. Although all you describe about yourself sounds good so far, it means nothing when the reviewers and public decide how good you are. The key is to be prepared for some tough obstacles and rejection and to keep alive what you know you can do.
    I'm essentially not asking for a "YES! You should act now because that sounds like you're good at it". I'm just asking on where to start because essentially I have zero idea on where to start, where to go and what to do. I'm in school for Computer Science so that doesn't pertain to acting etc at all. I do appreciate the reply though because I am definitely prepared for being rejected/hard times etc. It would definitely be something that I do while working on my degree or working my internship until I know if I do or do not have even an inkling of what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Acting for real and for a paycheck is down the road a bit, and maybe by that time, you will have changed your mind about how you want to do it. Four years of college make a huge difference in who you are! What about being a radio broadcaster or DJ, especially a good idea if your college has a station.
    As for that maybe. The thing I see is Brad Pitt... or Josh Hutchenson... acting in these great movies that I love and I love the acting jobs in them. I love storylines or action etc, but I love watching a movie where the acting is phenomenal. Another draw that I have is as I said I love reading. It's probably taken over as my favorite hobby over sports. And even the idea of being able to, since in the future as I don't plan to stop reading like I do even as I get older, act in a movie in one of my favorite series like Josh Hutchenson in Hunger Games is amazing. I'm not saying a main role, but even a smaller role would be great and that would be the end goal if I truly put my heart into this. It's a long way away as I said, but you have to start somewhere just as he did when his parents and no one else believed he could do it at all.

I'm really not saying I know for a fact I could get there, but I know for a fact some actors only enjoy and do certain aspects of acting only. Such as only Theater or only Screen Acting. And in my case my draw comes from only Screen Acting. Yes, it may change if I really get interested or pulled into Theater or other aspects, but with the things I listed that appeal to me at the moment it's only the Screen Acting part. Again, thanks for the replies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would the Substitute Decisions Act or the Trustee's Act apply?(Ontario) [ 0 Answers ]

This is an estate dispute between two trustees. The "misappropriation of funds" in question occurred in 2000, when the two trustees had joint/several power of attorney of the deceased. At that time, the one trustee knew of the possible misappropriation but chose to not take any action in the...

View more questions Search