Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flowerchildfala Posts: 96, Reputation: 16

Jun 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Buying a house or a business?
    If we are a newly married couple, in my opinion we should look into buying a house (we are currently staying with his parents) then open a business but he thinks he wants to buy a business then look into buying a house. Hes a chemist and his parents have been nagging him to open up his own business for many years. What would you do if you were in this position?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Get the business and then worry about the house. But that's just me...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerchildfala View Post
    If we are a newly married couple, in my opinion we should look into buying a house (we are currently staying with his parents) then open a business but he thinks he wants to buy a business then look into buying a house. Hes a chemist and his parents have been nagging him to open up his own business for many years. What would you do if you were in this position?

You have opened 16 threads seeking personal and relationship advice.

You are married. Don't you and your husband discuss these things? Why is his family part of YOUR decision making?

What do you AND your husband think is best for you? This is not a decision to be made by strangers on a Q and A board.

EDITED/T
    Entomology Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

You are married. Don't you and your husband discuss these things? Why is his family part of YOUR decision making?

What do you AND your husband think is best for you? This is not a decision to be made by strangers on a Q and A board.
    Whoa! Judy... what did I do to you? LOL...

But seriously... Looking over the other posts the OP has made, yeah, I totally agree.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Whoa! Judy...what did I do to you? LOL....

But seriously...Looking over the other posts the OP has made, yeah, I totally agree.

AHHHH! I quoted the wrong person. Beating my head against the keyboard. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

The good thing is if YOU ever have this problem you already have my advice.

Sorry, sorry, sorry.
    Entomology Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
    The good thing is if YOU ever have this problem you already have my advice.
    Believe it or not, I did have this problem a few months ago... I was able to make up my own mind though.
    flowerchildfala Posts: 96, Reputation: 16

Jun 11, 2012, 09:46 PM

Im not asking for you to judge me, so if you don't have something nice to say then please don't say it. I just really need peoples advice who may be older and wiser!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
    This question is an age old one and there is no pat answer. I'd go with the business first too, but it depends on the business. If it can be run from your home, buy a home that lends itself to business, even if it's only for 5 or 10 years. Ideally you do both - perhaps a multi-family for the income (and headaches of being a landlord) while also starting the business, and then selling it to buy a single family years down the road.
    One reason for starting the business first is that if you don't have much taxable income during the startup years, there isn't as much benefit from the mortgage deduction.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
    Rent an apartment and work on the marriage while you lay the foundation for your business. You need the privacy and independence and end the influence of others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Selling house in the UK buying house here with proceeds [ 1 Answers ]

My father is about to move here(to USA) as a permanent resident to live with me and my wife. He is going to sell his house worth around $550k. I was wondering would it be better for him to pay my mortgage off completely around $170k and me pay him a nominal amount as a loan, with me being the...

Buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps [ 6 Answers ]

I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour...

Buying a business [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying an existing business. I have known the person I'm buying from for 16 years. I need to know if I buy the business and the IRS comes back and audits the business from when this person owned it then would I be the one being audited or would she? I think she may have took...

View more questions Search