Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AhmicAir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2004, 06:36 PM
    Sewage Smell from Bathroom? (Maybe floor? )
    Hello Everyone,

The building I live in is a two story, stick built duplex supported with steel under frame resting on concrete pilings.

Due to the area I live in we have our water and sewage trucked in and out every two days. The water tank is indoors and the sewage take is buried beneath the building.

Right now I am getting a very bad odour coming from the washroom on the first floor. It smells like sewage. From beneath the building there does not appear to be any leaking from the toilet or odour present.

I would like to find the source of this smell and find a way to remove it. I am not even sure at this stage whether the smell is coming from the toilet or whether it might be coming from beneath the ceramics on the floor, behind the baseboards etc. Could this be the smell of a rotting floor?

I did try leaving a bit of water in both the sink and tub last night to see if the smell was meybe due to a faulty s trap but the smell was still there this morning.

If you have any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this issue, carry out a repair, and remove the smell; I would greatly appreciate your help. I am also looking for a good industrial cleaner to clean all of the grout on the floor and try to eliminate one source of the smell.

Thanks for your help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 17, 2004, 06:26 AM
    Sewage Smell from Bathroom?
    You wrote,
    "I did try leaving a bit of water in both the sink and tub last night to see if the smell was meybe due to a faulty s trap but the smell was still there this morning."
    Sorryto have to tell you this but you're going to have to test the tub, lavatory and the shower, (if you have one) again.
    You forgot to block off the overflows so the smell could bypass the water in the fixture drain and come right out the open overflows. As you can see I'm fixing on the traps because a low water seal level in a trap would give you the problem you describe.
    Let's test those traps again. This time put duct tape over the overflows when you put water in the tub and lavatory. And if you have a shower close off that drain and run water in it also. Do this before you go to bed and give it the sniff test in the morning.
    A trap loses its seal in two ways. The most common is a blocked vent. If a vent's blocked the water draining down a drain pipe will put a vacume on the trap. The resulting suction can draw the water seal down far enough for sewer gas to escape. The other is when a metal trap corrodes away at the bottom letting water seep out and sewer gas to get out into the air.
    Before any kind of repair can be effective you must localize the problem. Once you pin-point the source the repair can then be started and not before.
    Tonight, test the traps and get back to me tomorrow morning. As for industrial cleaners, click on. http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?F...strial+cleaner Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Sewage smell under house near bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

My house has base floors, and there is a bad sewage smell reaking near one of our bathrooms. I checked for leaks even crawled under the house and nothing. Even checked the P-trap to make sure it was full. The smell comes and goes but is most common around hot weather. 2 plumbers have already...

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

Sewage smell in basement under 1st floor toilet [ 1 Answers ]

In our large unfinished basement a sewage smell that appeared for about the past 4-6 weeks. It localizes to the area immediately underneath the drain for the 1st floor toilet, although the drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom is only 12 inches away. There is mild staining of the otherwise dry,...

View more questions Search