Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j9harley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Who is accountable for a Faulty Foundation of a home I purchased?
    My father in law purchased a vacation "cabin" up north about 7 years ago. Recently there was a flood in the house and when the insurance adjuster came out to assess, they found that the house's foundation was not built to code and a lot of corners were cut when building this house. The workmanship was very poor and braces were missing. It cost my father in law over $40,000 to repair what they hadn't done right in the first place. He has paperwork from the new contractors stating what wasn't done properly and up to code. He also has photos documenting the poor workmanship.
    My question is what recourse does he have? Who, if anyone, can he pursue to get restitution for the money he is now out. Nothing was disclosed at the time of purchase and he found out just yesterday that they construction company that built the house was owned by the person who sold him the house. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Janine

PS The property is in AZ
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
    He'd have to prove fraud. There could also be a case against the Town/City Inspectors - somebody had to look at the property and approve it.

Poor workmanship doesn't add up to a lawsuit or fraud. Not built to code does.
    j9harley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 09:35 AM
    Thanks, Judy. He is trying to obtain the original plans but they have suddenly gone missing. He's got a lot of photos showing that the support beams were too far apart and other other areas where it wasn't level by about an inch. Right now, he says he's not wanting to go after them for money but wants to have someone held accountable for building a sub standard structure. He doesn't want someone else to have to go through the same thing. I think the original homeowner sold him a house that wasn't built to code and should be held responsible as well.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
    And if HE tries to sell it and he is in an area where he is required to make full disclosure there could be a problem. He KNOWS it's not buillt to code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I purchased a home in 2003 for my son. The home is in my name. How do I gt his name o [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a home for my son in 2003. I paid for the home at the time and didn't carry a mortgage on it. My real estate agent told me to put the home in my name at the time. My son has been paying me for the home on a weekly basis ever since. I now want to put his name on the deed. How do I do...

Can we get the first time home buyers tax credit if we purchased the home from my [ 4 Answers ]

Can we get the first time home buyers tax credit if we purchased the home from my EX step-father?

Purchased home not built to code. [ 5 Answers ]

We purchased our home in Aug 2007. We had a home inspection performed and no major issues were found, so we purchased the home. Then in the Spring of 08, the city began local city sewer and water in our area. As a result of the high vibrations, we began to notice that the living room addition began...

Purchased a home AS-IS but was lied to. Is there recourse? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home in Titusville Florida from a Real Estate Office who, on the listing, said the house is a "Stucco on Masonry" home with "City Water/Sewer". I have found the house is NOT on city sewer and the "Stucco on Masonry" is Stucco on Concrete board attached to a rotting/heavily termite...

Purchased a home w/ bad tenents; I want them out. What to do? [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a duplex that has tenents in one unit. They were on a verbal month to month lease with the prior owner. I attempted to serve them 60 day notice of increase in rent. The tenent told me they they would not except or sign the agreement. On top of that they said that they plan on...

View more questions Search