Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Feb 27, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Mixing gauges - variation on a theme
    I've seen similar posts, but not similar enough to make me feel 100% sure so here we go...

Once upon a time there was a hot tub on the back patio of my house. The wire appears to be 4 gauge wire and there is a junction box already installed on the back wall. The tub is gone now, and I'm converting the room on the other side of that wall into a laundry room. It seemed like a natural place to tie into, reducing the breaker to 30 amp and going through the wall.

It looks as though 10-3 is the norm for a clothes dryer so my question is, is it OK to have 4 gauge running into the junction box and 10 gauge running out of the box to the dryer outlet? 4 to 10 is a pretty big jump so I'm just not sure.

Thanks!
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 27, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by l99057j
    I've seen similar posts, but not similar enough to make me feel 100% sure so here we go...

Once upon a time there was a hot tub on the back patio of my house. The wire appears to be 4 gauge wire and there is a junction box already installed on the back wall. The tub is gone now, and I'm converting the room on the other side of that wall into a laundry room. It seemed like a natural place to tie into, reducing the breaker to 30 amp and going through the wall.

It looks as though 10-3 is the norm for a clothes dryer so my question is, is it ok to have 4 gauge running into the junction box and 10 gauge running out of the box to the dryer outlet? 4 to 10 is a pretty big jump so I'm just not sure.

Thanks!
    Are there 4 wires going to the subpanel?
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Feb 27, 2007, 10:17 AM
    There are three wires in one bundle, so I guess that is 4-3? Then there is a separate wire on its own. So yes, four wires total.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 01:00 PM
    If there is an individual wire ran with the cable, and it is not included inside the cable, this is not allowed. Sounds like someone added a fourth wire as an equipment ground for the hot tub.

Splicing from #4 to #10 is fine using a proper mechanical connector, of which there are several available, such as split bolts, which need to be taped very well, or there are two port lugs already encapsulated and insulated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 honda civic gauges don't work [ 8 Answers ]

My speedo won't work, whole gauge cluster messed up, please help

Solve Variation [ 2 Answers ]

if Z varies inversely as w, and Z = 10 when w= .5 find Z when w= 8

Pressure/Temp Gauges [ 2 Answers ]

How do you read manifold gauges? i.e.. On a 70 degree day what pressures should you expect on a normal running unit? Low pressures and high pressures.I know it has to do with the ambient temp. I was told that you add 35 to the ambient and that should shoud translate to high pressure. Is this...

View more questions Search