Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
    Doggie Day Care
    When I have work and it's a long distance away a neighbor lets my dogs in and out. Now that I have a puppy I'm considering putting him in doggie day care for that day and leaving the older dog home alone - she doesn't like other dogs and I don't know that she won't enjoy a break from the puppy.

I've gone to two doggie day care centers (with the puppy) as an observer - but I don't know what I'm supposed to be observing! They were both clean, large dogs were separated from small dogs (although he was in the large dog group both places because he's a puppy, too enthusiastic for the smaller dogs), there were bowls of water around.

I've never been to a doggie day care center before and felt like grabbing him and running for my life - but maybe it's supposed to be somewhat chaotic. He seemed to have a great time - but he kept coming over to me to sit on my feet and observe. He'd sort of catch his breath and get back in the fray. What if I'm not there? What if he gets hurt? What if, what if, what if?

Both centers verify shot records, including kennel cough.

I don't know what I should be looking for - ratio of workers to dogs? Outdoor time? Indoor time? Nap time?

Does anyone have any experience with doggie day care?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
    I think I would look at the cleanliness of the facility, how the dogs are handled and how knowledgeable they are on dog behavior. They don't need to be expert dog behaviorists, but at least know when a fight is about to break out. I would ask what they would do if a dog fight happens to break out and how they handle bite wounds.

Besides that.. It comes down to how you feel about the place.. if you feel your dog will be taken care of and given plenty of exercise. Doggy daycare should be more up time and less down time. That way your dog will be tired by the time you pick him up.

He sits by you because it's a new, and strange place. Without you there, he will more than likely be more interested in playing and snooping around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Home Day Care [ 1 Answers ]

I need some Ideas for my sister - she just opened an in Home Day Care. she is watching an infant now but there is a lady asking her for a school age child. How can she pick up the school age child when/if she gets more infants. keep in mind its only her and she only has 1 car. Thanks in Advance ...

Splitting Payments for child care - do I pay directly to ex wife or day care? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I have been separated, but not legally; yet. Payments for child care come from her paycheck. I pay her half in a check at the beginning of each month. What is the best choice for tax purposes - to continue paying her half at the beginning of each month, or to begin paying the child's...

Day-care expenses [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé and I were wondering about day-care expenses. She has 2 kids with her ex-husband, and while he is in rehab he is not paying Child Support at all, which will be solved once he gets out and has to pay the back child support our lawyer has already confirmed this. What we were wondering...

Adult day care [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start an adult day care

Day care [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a single mom of two. I want to advance in my job and get a different position making more money but I won't qualify for state child care. Child care is very expensive. Are there any programs to get financial aid for child care while you work if you don't qualify for the state?

View more questions Search