Ask
    PAULINEJL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Statute of limitations
    What is the statute of limitations on a judgment in alberta, canada
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Generally there is none. Judgements do have to be renewed periodically and there may be a limit on the number of renewals.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 02:08 AM
    I know it is 20 years in Ontario. Perhaps it is similar in Alberta.
    ShadyJane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 10:37 AM
    A judgement lasts for 10 years in Alberta in which it must be renewed after the 10 years expires.

For credit reporting, a judgement stays on your credit file for 7 years, after which it will automatically drop off.

Depending on the wait, only concern yourself with the actual credit file as that is what banks/creditors use.

If the judgement is of a substantial amount and you are not in the position to pay it or your creditor is non-receptive to a payment plan, I would suggest you protect all assets which makes it difficult to actuall collect. Just because someone has a judgement against you, does not mean that they will get it, they still must collect.

Namely vehicles and property. If you have anything that is title free (no liens), then I would suggest a good friend placing a lien against your property for you, then it cannot be touched until the liens removed.

To protect employment and contact information, your credit file is your best tool. Open a PO box and change once every year. Keep a credit card or get a secured credit card (Home Trust Visa or Horizon in Canada) and keep in good order and update this PO address once a year, also change your employer once a year too to somewhere you do not work. Employers only have to be correct if you are seeking conventional credit, if not they don't care if payments are made on time.

Quick answer until you can get back on your feet, but paying the debt before it goes to collection or judgement if possible is always the best solution. After that point your best bet is not to pay as it will just make your credit worse for longer...

Shady
    Financial Force

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Long story short... I have autobody bills outstanding, I have been sent all the invoices for them with the dates. The earliest date being 2 years ago and last one 4 years ago, this is the first letter sent about this issue. They tell me they will take me to court. What is the statute of...

Statute of Limitations [ 1 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on debt in Ontario, Canada? After 17 years, I have a lawyer looking for payment on the probating of my father's will and transfer of his real estate to my name. He forgot to bill for it back then. I forgot about it myself until I went to sell my house and found...

Statute of Limitations [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this qualifies as Small Claims or not... several of us have the same claim against a company, and each of our claims is just under $10,000. Between the 3 complainants, the value is closer to $28,000. We paid a Canadian company to outfit us for a trek in Bhutan. They use a...

Statute of Limitations [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I had a car loan in New Jersey, I lost my job and came to Ontario. I couldn't pay the payments after I came to Canada. I had the car parked in NJ, I asked the bank to repossess it. They sold it for less. Now they are after me for the money. I want to pay them in full, but in monthly payments,...

Statute of limitations [ 6 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations after taking chapter seven bankruptcy in the state of Illinois, for a second mortgage to be null if I have reafirmed on the 1st. Mortgage? I went bankrupt in 2001 I reafirmed on the initial mortgage and not on the 2nd. Can I ever sell the property without paying...

View more questions Search