Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Dog hips
    My puppy kicks his legs straight out behind him when he's on his stomach. I don't know if it matters, but he's a male. (He looks like a frog.)

I've researched and can't find why some dogs can "assume the position" and others can't.

Does anyone know? (He's a GSD/Rott mix.)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2012, 01:30 PM
    My pit does it too.. I just assume she is very flexable in the hips... If she had anything wrong with her hips, I would think she had bad hips or stifles.

If its not broken, don't fix it ;)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2012, 01:34 PM
    Both my Wheaton X and my Great Dane do this. If anything that would probably hurt more in a dog with bad hips;
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Owen does the same. He tends to do that when his legs are acting up. He will also sit on one butt check when this legs are sore.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 02:07 PM
    In order to get pet insurance he had to be x-rayed and checked and there are no problems - I just wondered why some dogs are sort of double jointed and others aren't.

Can't imagine a Great Dane stretched out!
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
    X rays for pet insurance! That's a first.. Plus as a pup, if he has dyslasia, it wouldn't be seen. At 2 years is when dysphasia typically shows up.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    X rays for pet insurance!? That's a first.. Plus as a pup, if he has dyslasia, it wouldn't be seen. At 2 years is when dysphasia typically shows up.

Vet had to fill out form concerning hips, knees, etc. he was going in to be neutered, did a few x-rays. Vet is very cautious about pet health insurance, hears lots of horror stories, wanted to rule out "pre-existing" problems.

Seems over the top - I know.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 10, 2012, 06:14 AM
    My JRT scratches her tummy on the driveway by crawling flat out. 'Course she has inordinately short legs even for a Russell. She also runs on 3 legs even though there's nothing wrong with the one off the ground. I realize this has nothing to do with much of anything...
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jun 10, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Owen lives with three cats and I swear he thinks he is a cat. He tries to sleep on us like a cat and grooms one of the cats as well. Poor cat ends up soaked to death by the time he is done. Though he loves the cats in the house we have discovered if one walks by the house he gets all pissy... charging the door, growling, barking etc. Not sure why because as I said he lives with three cats.
    Joy my brother in law had a small dog and he would scratch his back by walking under the wood stove.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    My JRT scratches her tummy on the driveway by crawling flat out. 'Course she has inordinately short legs even for a Russell. She also runs on 3 legs even though there's nothing wrong with the one off the ground. I realize this has nothing to do with much of anything...

- But it sure is amusing!
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
    What insurance company are you using?
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 08:54 AM
    Embrace - there's a form to be filled out concerning ortho problems when you first sign up. My Vet wanted the x-rays. The company did not request them (from what I'm reading).

I have had problems with Embrace and the paperwork - they seem to lose everything I send to them.

I had another company for years but dropped the insurance some time ago and am starting over with the puppy.
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
    This is the insurance company I'm looking into... Seems pretty reasonable..

petplan rewards from Petplan USA
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    This is the insurance company I'm looking into... Seems pretty reasonable..

petplan rewards from Petplan USA

I'm going to take a look at it. My puppy is still within the 30-day trial period.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
    I've seen many dogs lay like this, our pit does it all the time.
    That's how he prefers to lay, even in his kiddie pool. He's pretty cute when he's cooling it.
    Seems to be more a matter of flexibility than anything else.
    I got nothing on pet insurance though, I only know what some of our clients tell us, some good, some not so good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hips? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm VERY uncomfortable with my body , its not my whole body.. its my hips . I'm afraid to be sexually active anymore because I'm WAY too uncomfortable with my hips . I'm not sure if it's a 'muffin top' . When I undress its still here . I'm skinny and short , 4'11 & 110 pounds . Why do I have this?...

Hw do I reduce hips [ 2 Answers ]

*** suggest a suitable anwr I need 2 reduce as soon as possible *** suggest

Big hips [ 2 Answers ]

I have large hips and thighs, the rest of me is sort of skinny, how can I make my hips and thighs smaller?

Rolling the hips [ 1 Answers ]

Hey you! I waz just wondering if you could tell me how to "roll ur hips" when your trying to do a toetouch! Please help me and expkain it god! I love you 4-ever if you do! Lol!

View more questions Search