Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Jun 8, 2012, 09:09 AM
    All electronic tolls in Baltimore-Washington area? Fact or Fiction?
    Hi, am renting a car for BWI. I am being alerted that if I drive in any all-electronic toll roads with the rental car, I will be socked the toll plus an admin fee of $25 per toll and I will not have any option to just pay the toll in cash at a toll booth. My other option is to pay the rental car company $11.99/day for an electronic toll paying device. My question is, ARE THERE actually ANY electronic toll exclusive (No cash option) highways in and around Baltimore and Washington DC and on to Virginia coast? Or is this a marketing scam to pry $11.99/day extra from me? Thanks. This pertains to end of June/first weeks of July 2012.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Not sure up there, but in south Florida, when you rent a car, you can pay that or less and it works by License Capture, and it gets billed to the Rental Company.
    Good Luck
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 8, 2012, 10:07 AM
    I believe that at this time only the Intercounty Connector is all-electronic. The other toll roads still have cash option, although MD is considering changing them to all electronic as well.

For reference see: Md. looks at moving to all-electronic tolls - WTOP.com and Intercounty Connector

One option to consider is if you are from a state that has E-Z pass or a linked in system (such as I-Pass, I-Zoom, or Fast-Lane) bring along your own transponder from home. I've done that before - my IL-based transponder works great in MA and NH!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 01:54 PM
    EBaines is correct. ICC is most recently opened toll road in MD and is all electronic. I drive the Balto area frequently and Washington infrequently and worked for the MD Hwy Admin. For 35 yrs and have never encountered a non-cash toll facility ever to date, in MD, but that would change if I ever tried the new ICC.
    The ICC is basically a shortcut from I-270 to I-95 and you can easily avoid it (too many drivers are doing exactly that from last I read because of the high tolls and the agency is not meeting revenue expectations). If you have to travel the suburban area W. and NW of DC, allow some extra time and use I-270 and the Capitol Beltway. I have no easypass and travel Baltimore a lot and haven't had a problem to date. You can visit the MD DOT site and the toll agency MdTA and probaby check for any very recent changes but I know of none.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fact or Fiction Horoscopes? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I have recently gotten very intrested in the future and psychics and horoscopes. While I very much believe in horoscopes are they true? And does anyone know where I can find good/accurate horoscopes online.. the site I normally use astrolis just got hacked.

Mind Over Genes fact or fiction? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been checking some stuff out on the net and there are some important changes coming that I feel people should be made aware of. May I suggest that you check out some of the links below. I look forward to your comments. YouTube - Bruce H Lipton, PhD "Beyond Darwin" (Part 1) ...

Saparis Gold Group - fact or fiction? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who says this is the best investment opportunity available. I did a Google search and did not find any negative info, did find a couple HYIP Monitoring Sites which gave it a "clear" rating. I then did a YAHOO search and found only two negative comments about this organization. ...

View more questions Search