Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HKC2010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Why does my boyfriend...
    Im going to try and make this as short as possible. Pleae help...

My boyfriend of 2 years hasn't ever been extremely affectionate. But it seems like before we lived together and when we first started living together things were different. I have a 2 1/2 year old son who thinks of my boyfriend as his dad because his isn't around and he plans on adopting him soon.
    Right now until my room mate moves out were living in his house which is one bedroom. So after my son goes to bed were stuck in the same room all night because my son is a very light sleeper and he will wake up.
    My boyfriend rarely does anything like cuddle. He never hugs unless I give him one and I don't remember the last time we kissed that wasn't just a peck unless we went out drinking together.
    He tells me he loves me every day but I just miss the small things like he says since we're constantly together he wants to do stuff with his friends on the weekend, which is completely fine. But it's every weekend and me and my son always sit at home. One in a great while I'm invited but it's maybe once every month or two and he says since we live together we shouldn't have to go out.
    He usually sits on the computer from the time he comes home until the time he goes to bed. Sometimes he'll be in a good mood and play with me and my son but then others he just wants to be left alone.
    I don't know if he feels smothered because were literally together in one room 90% of the time because like I said his house is one bedroom and were waiting to move into my 3 bedroom house in a month or so.
    I know there's no one else he works and comes home and if he's not he's with his friends and home early. Our sex life is gone too. The weekends is when we have sex and that's maybe once or twice lately if it even happens. I know he's tired, he is a mailman and walks the town everyday but I feel neglected.
    I've tried to talk to him and he says he's heard it over and over and he's been the same person this whole time and if I'm not who he wants then to find someone who is who I want. I love him and I don't want anyone else I just want some affection... I can't remember the last time he's told me he appreciated me or anything... he says I'm too emotional and cry too much and that he's stopped drinking for me and my son and I appreciate that but why can't I have some affection every once in a while too? Help please
    C0bra_M3nace Posts: 1,296, Reputation: 223
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Communication is key, talk to him, tell him how you feel. If you don't want it to turn into a confrontation don't be accusational. It's the only way he will know how you feel.

Jun 8, 2012, 06:56 AM
    I have tried to talk to him and even when I say something like "Hey can we talk about some stuff that's bothering me" hell tell me I'm nagging or that I'm too over emotional. I admit, he has changed A LOT in the 2 years we have been together. He used to go out 3-4 times during the week until midnight or later and all weekend and treat me like crap because he changes when he drinks. But anymore he is gone for maybe 2 hours with a close friend maybe once a week and some Saturday's he just goes riding with the guys. I understand a guys night and I don't want to intrude on that and we live in a small town so nothing is usually going on for us to go out together and do anything. I mean, he has been fine when I suggest maybe us going and doing Chuck E Cheese with my son one Saturday and the zoo and stuff. He gets one day off a week.
    I'm hoping it's just the stress of his job. But even though I am a very affectionate person I just wish he could put forth a little effort in that area. Even if it's just coming in from work and kissing me when he gets home. If I want a kiss, its me always going for it. He does initiate sex but usually only after drinking because he says he's too tired after work during the week.
    Should I stick it out and hope it gets better? He's a great dad and boyfriend I just miss the little things you know?
    C0bra_M3nace Posts: 1,296, Reputation: 223
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Sometimes the little things are worth fighting for, but have you thought that maybe you are being a bit needy? I really hate to say it and sound rude but maybe he really is tired, that's always an opton as well, but on the other hand not being able to communicate about your problems raises a small flag. You can't fix the problem without communication so you either need to try a bit harder to get his attention on the matter or deal with it I guess, or leave which is still an option, rather far down on the list though I would imagine from the sounds of it.

Best of luck.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Of course everything was different before y'all move in together. He ha some readjusments to made too. It is hard to have a sex life when your child is around>>and maybe he taking this into consideration.

What do you mean he is a different person when he is drunk? Yes, I think communication is the key when you are in a relationship but I think you should should start hanging out with your friend whe he out hanging witj his once in a while. Hopefully, things will get better when y'all move so y'all can have more privacy and space.

Jun 8, 2012, 03:07 PM
    He just gets really hateful when he's drunk. Not all of the time but if we have argued (which is usually about this) he comes home and says things to me that he says he doesn't mean. But I don't know. And this sounds so pathetic but I lost two friends because they were just fake etc and now the two I have are moving and aren't ever in town when the weekend comes around. One has a boyfriend who lives 1 1/2 away so she goes there Friday through Sunday so I'm always stuck alone. I don't know how to talk to him. I've tried every approach. I've said "I'm not trying to start a fight but I feel this way" and he just starts getting mad and tells me he is how he is. I admit I get needy sometimes but sometimes I really feel meglected

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search