Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandywiggy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Signing you rights over
    My husband pays child support on his son, and he never see's him well he recently switched jobs and where as on the previous job this job does not provide health insurance, well we got a phone call from the child support office saying we had 20 days to comply with covering his son with insurance the only insurance we can get for him is about 750.00 a month on top of the child support they already take more than 20% of his check right now. So not he is at the road where he wants to sign over his rights to the child and we were once told that he could not do that unless she got married and the guy wanted to take responsibilities of the child, is that true and if not does any one know where we can go from here??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Signing over his rights have nothing to do with giving up his obligation to pay child support.

Giving up his rights only means he has no legal right to visit the child, to see the child or having anything to do with the child. ( guess he already does that)

Paying child support is a obligation and can not be "given up" unless the other parent is married and the new spouse is willing to adopt.

What he needs to do is go back to court and get his payments and the insurance payments changed to effect the new job.

If it was as easy as signing over "rights" men would not be sitting in jail or prison for not paying their support. They would have not signed it over and not had to pay.

Sorry we have people in our officer paying almost 40 perecent of their pay for child support, ( they are single, if they were remarried, they could only get 25 percent)

Next where do you live, any child should be able to be insured for under 150.
    What state ( if in the US) do you live in, I can give you the name of a dozen people who will insure your son a lot less.
    Unless he has some serious medical need
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2007, 07:30 AM
    If you look in these forums you will see dozens of threads all asking the same question and all getting the same answer as Chuck gave you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over rights [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a child from this girl, she has put him on child support But now he's considering signing over his paternal rights. He has recently stopped working and can no longer pay child support. If he signs over his rights will he still be obligated to pay for child support or any back...

Signing over rights what can we do [ 13 Answers ]

My husband is being served with child support papers and he hasn't seen the child since he was born because she ran him off and told him to leave and not come back now she is wanting child support we are wondering if there is anyway he can just give up all his rights and that be the end of it...

Signing over parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

OK well My Boyfriend has a daughter with this women, he pays support but she will not allow him to see his daughter she leaves him nasty messages saying she's better off without him. Well this women called him and asked him if he would sign over his rights to her husband because she wants to move...

Signing over rights [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend signed over his rights last December and his ex's new husband adopted the little girl. He still had to pay child support, which the state of AZ took out of his paychecks, all the way up until a few months ago. His work finally received letters stating that the child support was...

Signing over rights [ 4 Answers ]

I have someone that wants to sign her baby over to me. Does that mean a Home Study has to be done? Or can paper work just be signed? :confused:

View more questions Search