Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DCCC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Can I be prevented legally from socializing with my boss by the big boss?
    I have been best friends with my boss for years and she then became the boss of our company which is under an umbrella of a bigger company. We and our families have been very close for many years and she has been my boss for 4 years. Recently she was told she is no longer allowed to socialize with employees and we are both devastated by this news as are our families.my question is whether this is ethical and legal. We have never stepped over the line and she shows me no favoritism in the workplace. We have always kept our relationship secret from the outside world. Is the holding company boss allowed to enforce this rule?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2012, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DCCC View Post
    Is the holding company boss allowed to enforce this rule?
    Hello D:

I don't know what you mean "allowed"... Can he prosecuted if he enforces it?? No... Can you be fired if he enforces it? Yes..

excon
    kmskitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Is it or is it not legal for a company to say who you can have relationships with outside of work?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 8, 2012, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmskitty View Post
    is it or is it not legal for a company to say who you can have relationships with outside of work?
    Let me put it to you this way:

If you ran a business, would you want your foreman to be best friends with your biggest competitor? And your secretary to be married to him? I think not. And if they were, you would be justified in letting them go.

So: yes. A company can say that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2012, 07:26 AM
    It is a very accepted practice, and while that may not be the reason they fire them ( or most likely fire you) they normally keep the boss and get rid of the other person, so you are the one more likely to be fired if someone is fired.

But in big companies, they can "strongly suggest" where or what areas of a town a boss should live in. If the boss is married, what clubs their spouse should belong to. They can strongly suggest what clubs the boss should belong to, If the boss is doing any outside activities that does not fit image of the company, they can be fired for activities going on outside of work.

So yes, I would say if you try to fight it, you would soon be history,

Becoming a boss normally means you have to break friendships with some others, because they work with you, or because they are not the type of people the company thinks you should be friends with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who can help me when old boss calls your new boss about my background [ 2 Answers ]

I quit my old job at Advance Auto Parts, went to go work for Napa Auto Parts. Found out my former GM Mike from Advance talking to my new GM Cas at Napa about my background, and later Mike telling Advance employees about my whole background, and the outside commercial accounts, so almost the whole...

A former boss talking dirt to a new boss [ 3 Answers ]

Good Evening, So, I worked for a jewelry store for a few months before relocating to another location to finish college. After I moved, I applied at a competator's company in at a mall store. At my former job, my manager and I did NOT get along. She would constantly change the schedule without...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

Trying to please the boss [ 2 Answers ]

Help please - I love to cook- all sorts of foods and my boss knows this and know he has asked me to make something from his past and I can't find a rec. for it anywhere - The name of it is Sarmoli Momaliga (its a romaninan dish ) Im sure I spelled it totally wrong but you get the idea ....

View more questions Search