Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rohandbagade Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 10:59 PM
    Edge led TV or backlit led TV
    I want to buy a new TV... I want to go for LED TVs, preferably Samsung. When I went to a shop to check the TVs, I was confused between Edge lit LED TV and 'backlit' LED TV. I know Edge lit LED TVs have some drawbacks like non-uniform light and brighter edges with dark spots in the center, but the Edge LED TVs are thinner and the technology is very recent. Backlit LED TVs are conventional and successful. So I am confused about the type of TV. Also there is confusion regarding 2D and 3D TV. Does watching a 3D TV in 2D have any drawbacks ? Is the screen for 2D and 3D different ? Is it worth spending 10-15k extra for 3D TVs at present, or is there a scope for improvement in the 3D technology ?
    Please guide me to buy a good TV.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2012, 08:35 PM
    First, what country are you from. If you are in the USA, it shouldn't be $10-15k extra for 3D TVs.

What types of programming will you be watching on it? Do you want any of the extra Internet features? Do they interest you at all (the ability to surf the Internet on your TV, stream media, etc).

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "backlit" LED TVs. All LCD displays have backlights.

You might be confusing traditional LCD TVs with LED-LCDs. Your typical LCD TV has more even backlights, but the light is always on, so not only do they tend to use more energy (than LED-LCDs), but the darkest blacks are almost always a shade of grey.

LED-LCDs usually have LEDs around the edges and can actually completely shut off to darken an area of the screen better. However, these usually have an uneven backlight and will look brighter in the corners.

Please note that some of the newer LED-LCDs that are rolling out have a full array of LEDs. I cannot give too much information on these units since I have yet to see one.

There is also supposedly some OLED displays to be rolling out at the end of the year. These should have the best of both worlds. From the little I have read, they use LEDs on each pixel (the little dots that make up the entire picture--think of a mosaic). This would be a thin display with the brightness of an LED-LCD, but the contrast of a plasma, without using anywhere near as much energy or generating as much heat as a plasma does.

Originally though, OLED displays weren't rated to last very long. Supposedly, if what I have read is correct, said issues have been corrected and OLEDs should last quite a while.

EDIT: Oh! There is neither any harm, nor any drawback in purchasing a 3D TV, but only watching 2D. Basically, if you want to watch 3D, you will need a 3D TV, capable wiring (high speed HDMI), and a 3D source (like a Blu-ray player playing a 3D Blu-ray disc). You can't upgrade a 2D TV into a 3D TV later. So if you are interested in 3D, it's worth it.

I'd also like to ask why you are limiting yourself to Samsung? There are other brands that are good as well. Don't get me wrong, I own two Samsungs myself. But don't necessarily limit yourself. If I was to purchase a TV today, it would probably be a Sharp. But give us some more information about what you'll be watching and what features you want and we should be able to give you some different options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Being Led On? Help Please. [ 8 Answers ]

There's this guy that I really like. We've only just recently got to know each other. I'm 17 and still a virgin and I'd like to keep it this way. A few days ago this guy asked me round his house to revise. We attempted revision for 5 minutes then got bored and started messing around. Nothing really...

Led Zeppelin! [ 13 Answers ]

So yeah, my number one fave band of LIFE is Led Zeppelin. If you love 'em, let us know and also tell us at least 5 of your fave songs. (I can see Stairway To Heaven being everyone's first answer:p)

Goodman GMH8 heating unit - LED Led flash 4 times [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have just recently bought a Goodman GMH81155CNAG gas heating furnace. I find the manual is very unhelpful as far as diagrams and explanatory. The problem that I am having is when I closed the doors for the furnace, the heat would stop and only the blower running. The LED would flash...

View more questions Search