Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2003, 09:15 PM
    Citric acid in cleaners & titration
    A lot of cleaners nowadays advertise being more effective due to their ingredient of citric acid. If I wanted to find the concentration of citric acid in various cleaner solutions, would titration be a plausible method?

Also, how would one go about finding the exact pH of the citric acid content in various cleaners? Would I have to isolate the acid prior to testing it's pH?

??

Thanks for any available information!
    bobertmurphy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2004, 06:53 PM
    Citric acid in cleaners & titration
    Titration would be indeed be a plausible method. You would want to make sure that what you were seeing was citric acid, and not some other acid in the mixture, such as phosphoric acid, which is an ingredient in many cleaners. So unless I knew the ingredients list and knew there were no other acids in the cleaner, I would purify the citric acid first. The technique for doing that would depend a lot on the mixture of ingredients in the cleaner.

I would probably do a titration using a pH meter. Since citric acid is a tri-carboxylic acid, if you neutralized all three acid groups, you would get three measurements of citric acid content for the effort of one titration.

Citric acid doesn't have a pH all by itself, but only in context of whatever solution it's in. So you couldn't measure the pH of citric acid in a particular cleaner, independent of any other ingredients in the cleaner. You could measure the pH of the cleaner, though. If you isolated the citric acid before testing the pH, it would tell you about the pH of the citric acid solution you have after isolation, but wouldn't tell you anything about the citric acid in the cleaner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Registry Cleaners [ 4 Answers ]

Using win98se (I know but xp won't solve my problem as I kind of like 98). I've got about 4 registry cleaners--paid for 1, 3 are free downloads (JV16, etc). When I run all these programs, they all want to delete iexplore.exe (in addition to junk). What's with that? I've never had a problem...

Drain Cleaners [ 1 Answers ]

To whom it may Concern I am doing a science fair project on the ability of drain cleaners. I need to know the chemicals in the drain cleaners Drano, Zep, and The Works; and how the cleaners work. Can you please tell me where I can find this information. Thank you, Yankfan.

View more questions Search