Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skallen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Siblings of Gifteds?
    Hi folks. First time here. I searched for some records and didn't find much.

So, here's my quandry.

While at this point, I'm not sending my son to MIT for summer classes, he is showing some gifts. He's 5 and reads at the 2nd grade level, does addition/subtraction in his head and is starting to get multiplcation, very creative, building all sorts of things... you get the picture.

Right now, his older 6 year old sister who is in 1st grade is struggling a bit with reading and math. He's surpassing her and she feels lousy. Now, to be fair, she had a disastrous 1st grade. We transferred her after Christmas to a new school, making her teacher there the FOURTH teacher she had for first grade. And for the record, she's caught up a lot since we moved her.

My other five year old (twin sister) has only shown marginal interest in reading and is just now getting excited about it--but of course, she's far behind him as well.

Honestly, we've exhausted most of the "Everyone has their talents" answers because he is pretty good at most things. My first grader is a pretty decent artist and his twin sister seems to be athletically inclined. But they notice that while they can do some things a bit better than him, he is far surpassing them otherwise.

My oldest told my wife, "Maybe I was just not meant to be smart." one night before bed. His twin sister says she wants to read as well as her brother and is trying but frustrated.

So--any advice from folks who've been there?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2012, 11:47 AM
    Yes. Send the children who are underachieving - if they, in fact, are underachieving and are not in line with their age groups, for extra "help." I feel sorry for the child who had 4 teachers in first grade.

I also wouldn't hold the "you get the picture" child back for fear of somehow upsetting the underachievers.

What does the school say?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for siblings [ 1 Answers ]

I know my birth mother's name was eirwen viola hall, she had two children one boy an agirl who became a nurse. Her sister lived at coppice rise macclesfield cheshire, sk11 7ry . An was named as eileen thompson , about 13 years ago, 1997,my mother I was told lived in preston, 13 years ago, I would...

Filing for siblings [ 1 Answers ]

I am a green card holder who would like to file for my sister. How do I go about doing so.

2 siblings won't agree to sell home owned jointly by 4 siblings [ 1 Answers ]

I am one of 4 siblings who co-own a lake home that we received from our mother. Two siblings need to sell their share of the property to raise cash, and two siblings refuse to sell the property or buy out the two who wish to sell. Do the two who need to sell their share of the property have any...

Siblings fighting [ 2 Answers ]

My two friends adopted puppies, they are brother and sister just shy of 6 months old, they are well socialized, get along great with my older dog (2 yrs) but get super worked up when they play together and almost always escalates in to a huge fight.. does any one know why this happens?

Siblings and Inlaws [ 3 Answers ]

I have two older brothers who are both married, and I'm single. My middle brother and I both agree that when my Dad passes away the only people who will be able to make any decisions should be my two brothers and myself. My oldest brother wants his wife to be able to make decisions too. His wife is...

View more questions Search