Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gcg9999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 05:14 AM
    Surround sound
    I bought a used surround sound that doesn't have the red/yellow/white plugs. They have bare wires. I also have an old TV that doesn't have the holes for the r/y/w port holes is there anyway I can hook this up to my TV? I do have fios the box does have the port holes.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 09:03 PM
    You need an AV receiver. This will receive digital audio connections (like fiber optic or digital coax) as well as your composite audio connection (white/red RCA). The AV receiver will also power your speakers.

Look on the back of the speakers and check what their impedance is. Most speakers are 8 Ohms, some are 6 Ohms. Most AV receivers will be set to 8 Ohms by default, but can be adjusted to 6 Ohms. If your speakers are a different impedance, then it is likely they are part of a "in-the-box" system. This would mean that they are part of a proprietary system and were probably powered by an AV Receiver/DVD combo of some kind.

Without any more information, this is my best guess for you. If this doesn't sound right or doesn't help, please post the make and model of your speakers and possibly some photos of the equipment. The more information you provide, the better we may assist you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

There is no sound from my Roku through my surround sound [ 0 Answers ]

I have a HDTV plasma TV about 7 years old that does not have an HDMI outlet. I also have a Panasonic SC-PT480 surround sound system/theatre connected to my TV, which works great for DVDs. I wanted to add a Roku box to my TV so I can stream videos and connected everything successfully except the...

When I hooked up my surround sound the picture is black and white with sound [ 5 Answers ]

I hooked up all of the cables for my surround sound to my TV. When we turn a movie on we get a black and white screen of the movie which is very clear and the sound. We just don't have any color.

Surround sound [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best wireless surround sound system for home use? I really do not want to run wires throughout the room for the speakers.

View more questions Search