Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A C Kumar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Drilling a hole for a bracket
    How to drill a hole for fixing curtain metal bracket. The drill bit is not able to pierce the metal plate which is about 3/4" under the wall surface.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2012, 02:23 PM
    Can't quite picture what type of curtain bracket you have that has a metal plate 3/4 inch below wall surface. First-- are you sure that the metal plate is part of the curtain bracket and the plate is not actually there to protect an electrical wire?
    If you are certain that you should drill through it, maybe you have a dull bit. There is a wold of difference between a sharp bit and a dull bit. Have you centerpunched the metal to keep the bit in place, and are you using a small bit to start? I have never seen a curtain hanger like you have described but maybe I have something to learn.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 6, 2012, 12:58 PM
    If you mean that you hit something metal underneath the drywall while trying to mount a curtain bracket, I would say that it is unlikely that what you hit is a metal bracket. It is more likely a screw or a nail. Move over a small distance and try another spot.
    Of course that is assuming that this is next to a window.
    If where you are drilling is somewhere else and there really is a metal bracket there, don't drill there. Any metal bracket underneath the drywall would be there to protect something, like a pipe or a wire.

If you insist on drilling there however, you must use a metal cutting bit, not a wood bit.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2012, 03:00 PM
    Could be a steel lintel is this is a masonry house. In any event, use a titanium nitride coated bit and turn slowly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical 3-hole to 2-hole plugs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there an adapter for plugging a 3-prong plug into 2-hole wall receptors? And is this safe for electronics?

Drilling 3 inch hole [ 6 Answers ]

I want to hollow out a pine log about 5-6 inchs wide. I tried a 3 inch forstner bit and it just will not do the job effectively. I only want to go down about 5 to 6 inches as well. Any suggestions?

Is a dirt sump pump hole safe, rather than a concrete hole? [ 3 Answers ]

We moved into our house in May and have been doing lots of updating. One thing has been bothering me, because I don't know any better... Our sump pump sits in a dirt hole about 3 feet in diameter under the concrete floor. Is this safe? Is this really dirty? I have noticed more bugs in this...

Drilling a hole in magnet [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to get a magnet that is about the site of a CD and has a hole in the middle. I was unable to find one with a hole but I found a solid disc that would work. My question is, can I safely drill a hole in the middle of this magnet without severely compromising the magnetic force? The...

Drilling a hole in glass [ 3 Answers ]

How do I drill a hole in glass? Do I need a special bit or tool?

View more questions Search