Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Jun 5, 2012, 12:26 PM
    Wedding bells?
    Hi all I am 38 and been dating my boyfriend now for 8 months he is 42> neither of us have been married before.
    We have known each other for 6 years and been good friends we both have a past and kids I know he has always wanted to get married and is so loving.
    Just recently he has been making jokes all the time about getting married like when you bcom mrs johnson or I will cry lik a baby when we g marrid he says it constantly. Is he joking or does he want to be married to me h thinks I don't want to do the marriage thing so not sure what to think
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 12:34 PM
    Call his bluff.

Jun 5, 2012, 12:35 PM
    I did think that, next time he says it I am going to
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Why don't you ask him if he is serious. You guys are not kids.
    Why does he think you don't want to do the marriage thing? Have you said this to him?
    I agree with wondergirl. Call his bluff

Jun 5, 2012, 12:42 PM
    When we were just friends he said about if he truly loved someone he would want to marry them he wears his heart on his sleeve where as I am a very closed person so in the conversation I just said never been married and never will. Now when we have these conversations he does look at me for a response. For example on Saturday evening we were with his sister we were all talking somehow the conversation turned to crying and weddings don't know how hats when he said about he would cry his eyes out when we get married he was staring at me waiting for a response I just carried on looking forward. He does not live with me and has started saying stuff about saving up and stuff for a special occasion and has even wrote something very similar on my Facebook page for everyone to see
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Sounds like he is testing the water and/or is scared or just does not know how to ask.

So when he says "when you are Mrs>>>>" say and when will that be ?

Or just ask him if his jokes were asking to talk about marriage
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 12:50 PM
    It sounds like you aren't giving him much, if any, encouragement.

"i just said never been married and never will" and "i just carried on looking forward."

Jun 5, 2012, 12:55 PM
    I know you all right but with me I don't want to look stupid so I keep the hard face what if he is joking I will look stupid plus 8 months isn't a real long time although we have talked nearly every day for the past 6 years we worked together but he left about 2 months ago for another job.to be honest I would love to marry him my parents were only together about 10 months when they married have been married now 39 years
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 12:56 PM
    Okay, this is your chance. Tell us -- do you want to marry him or not? Seriously.

Jun 5, 2012, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Okay, this is your chance. Tell us -- do you want to marry him or not? Seriously.
    Never ever wanted to get married. It was something I always said I would never do but you know what I would marry him tomorrow
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 01:05 PM
    So now how will you act and what will you say when he makes a joke about you becoming Mrs. Johnson? How can you call his bluff?

Jun 5, 2012, 01:07 PM
    God knows either say when? Or I don't know
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Yeah I'd make it a one-word question -- "When?" or "Soon?" or "Is August 11th good for you?"

Jun 5, 2012, 01:14 PM
    Haha yeah next time he makes the joke going to go for it will let you know xx
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 01:19 PM
    Be sure to tell us what he said and then what you said and then what he said after that! And let us know what date you set. ;) x

Jun 5, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Haha I will and thanks
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 02:04 PM
    And don't wait too long. Why don't you bring up the subject. Let him know you have softened on the idea. A closed mouth does not get fed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nutone door bells [ 10 Answers ]

Is there a repair shop for old Nutone door chimes in or near Olympia Washington ?

Kyle massey jingle bells lyrics? [ 1 Answers ]

My church is doing a kids concert this christmas with this song! I really need the lyrics And NO typing it on Google has NOT helped (:

Bells palsy [ 1 Answers ]

I have bell palsy 2 weeks ago and the doctor gave me steroids prednisone my period was due on the 11th of march but I have not had them.my boobs have come quite sore .I have had sex and my partner brought it out before he .I have done a home test and it says positive ,but could it be that my hcg is...

View more questions Search