Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grobbie52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 11:03 AM
    How to sue a police department for harassment
    So I am being harassed by the Falls Church Va. DP and it is getting annoying to the point were I can't take it anymore it worst thing we do is smoke cigarettes and of age. Like one time I was outside with my friends we were just playing soccer in the front yard and a friend was helping clean out the gutters and we see the same cop car # 17 drive by 3 time only on that day, The 2nd time he went by he went by very slow like and just looking at us the 3 time he went by. And then the next couple days I see more cops go by and at a point one cop stops at the corner of the street near my house and another time before all that a cop was a the top of my hill and not seeing the cop till I go out the door he quickly turned his head lights on and drove down my hill and drove off fast and its freaking me out I don't even want to go out knowing there is a cop probably looking at me now should I sue p.s. there is more crap the cops have done not really feel to type it all
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 11:08 AM
    So far all they seem to be doing is patrolling the neighborhood like they are supposed to be doing. I'd better see a cop car patrolling my neighborhood a lot during the day on my tax money, or they will hear about it! Why are you being so paranoid? Maybe tell us what else you think the police have done to you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grobbie52 View Post
    so i am being harrassed by the Falls Church Va. DP and it is getting annoying to the point were i can't take it anymore it worst thing we do is smoke cigarettes and of age. like one time i was outside with my friends we were just playing soccer in the front yard and a friend was helping clean out the gutters and we see the same cop car # 17 drive by 3 time only on that day, The 2nd time he went by he went by very slow like and just looking at us the 3 time he went by. and then the next couple days i see more cops go by and at a point one cop stops at the corner of the street near my house and another time before all that a cop was a the top of my hill and not seeing the cop till i go out the door he quickly turned his head lights on and drove down my hill and drove off fast and its freaking me out i dont even want to go out knowing there is a cop probably looking at me now should i sue p.s. there is more crap the cops have done not really feel to type it all
    If you are spazzing out just because they are driving by... you must be doing something you aren't telling us.

No you can't sue them for driving by any more than you can sue anyone else for driving by... its a public road.

Now I'll be the first to admit the Falls Church cops are overzealous in their desire to fund the entire city budget via traffic fines... ( particularly that 25 mile per hour zone on a 4 lane part of Rt 7 up near RT 50 that's 3 blocks long... a speed trap designed for issuing tickets if there ever was one.) Does the Mayor or Chief of police live on those blocks or something?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 11:18 AM
    Yes if driving by your home and stopping out front or stopping at the corner or even following your car when you drive somewhere is all they are doing, that is called patrolling, and that is what they can say they are being paid for.

How many times have they stopped your car while you were driving, how many times have they came to search your home. How many times have they stopped you walking down the sidewalk to search you or pat you down?

It is the unmarked white vans, or the white trucks with magnet names on the side pretending to be utility vechiles sitting near your home that you really need to worry about.

And is that really the electric company meter reader walking up to the house, how many times this month have them came for sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Police Harassment! How do I sue the police station? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had various run ins with the police after I picked up charges in 2010. They have watched my house, folllwed me, pulled me over, searching my car... This last time they came to my house when I was gone and impounded my car, they drug it down the street in park leaving a huge black mark down my...

Harassment by the police department? [ 2 Answers ]

For two years there has been damage done to my home car and other property ( including the death of a duck and multiple attacks by their dogs and their cats using our front lawn and yard as litter bow scratching up our cars by climbing on them ). From egging to attempted break ins of our vehicles....

Police Harassment and how to sue the police department in East Dublin, GA 31027? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my friend have been harassed by the East Dublin Police for years. I was arrested in 2007 for a day and then I was release. I had a case where a young man stole from my Bank account and the police and the judge did not put this young man in prison. The young man is a hacker of the internet....

Can I sue a police department for harassment, slander, and defamation of character? [ 6 Answers ]

I own a local tattoo shop. We've been experiencing a tremendous decrease in business due to allegations and rumors that drugs are sold out of our studio. All allegations are false, and we have written and signed statements from a number of customers and other people of what officers in our...

View more questions Search