Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medichdg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 05:42 AM
    Harley davidson troubleshooting
    I have a 2011 Street Glide. It feels as though between 30-40 MPH I am getting a wobble in the front end when decelerating. If I briefly take my hands off the bars it appears the wobble is there. I had it to the delaer and they checked it but could not find anything.

Thoughts?
    RayOy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by medichdg View Post
    I have a 2011 Street Glide. It feels as though between 30-40 MPH I am getting a wobble in the front end when decelerating. If I breifly take my hands off of the bars it appears the wobble is there. I had it to the delaer and they checked it but could not find anything.

thoughts?
    Do a search on the Harley Death Wobble. Yes there was a problem but I don't know if the newer models have ,but I don't know if all do. The dealers won't admit a problem and most do not know about some problems we have with our bikes.Get all the info you can ASAP. All my friends that ride Harleys have never told me that they have it but if you let go of the bars at the wrong you will crash. I know some Goldwings Have a wobble but not all.
    PeterHD13 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
    I had this problem with my 1990FLTCU. On deceleration the front wheel began an increasingly violent side to side movement. At first I put it down to the front wheel only being 16 inches in diameter and therefore it couldn't maintain gyroscopic stability at lower speed, as with the 21 inch and 19 inch wheels.

Then I checked the wheel balancing on the front by removing the front brake calipers hanging them up with some rope on the frame and put a grease spot on the rim and spun the wheel. Though it had balance weights on it from the shop it stopped at the same spot each time. So I took off the weights and spun the wheel again and it stopped at a different spot each time therefore it was now balanced.

I then Checked the Steering head adjustment on mine there is a spoke adjuster to turn. I was getting a bit of clunking when I hit a bump then retightened the steering head bolt. If the adjustment is very loose the front end will move in and out under brakes like a bucking motion , forward and back.

Then I drained the fork fluid and put new fluid in. The fluid level in each fork has to be exactly the same or you can get irratic handling especially under brakes or cornering.

The wobble at the front wheel when I take both my hands off the bar when decelerating has now stopped occurring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harley davidson troubleshooting? [ 3 Answers ]

Haven't had bike running since I had hip replacement two years ago . Removed carburator and cleaned out jets . Put fresh gas and new plugs and wires on bike with new battery . Tries starting and heard a gurgle and oil on the floor . Bike wouldn't start . Bike is a 1989 fxsts.

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

99 883 will start and run fine. After it is warm it won't start up

Troubleshooting harley davidson? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2000 HD Ultra Classic. Stored in my basement over winter and started it up a couple times, no problem. Out today and went to start it, thought about it for a second then just started rapidly clicking. Lots of juice in the new battery. Absolutely no corrosion, not even dust right now. I...

Harley davidson troubleshooting? [ 0 Answers ]

2006 h/d FLHT.Carburetor idle pick up when warm up.I have change intake manifold gasket and rebuilt carb.

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 02 roadking w/40,000 and the oil light started flashing, mostly when I let off the throtle ?

View more questions Search