Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    playmate Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Weight lose
    Hi, I'am trying to lose weight and finding that I'am getting bigger,I'am doing everything that I should be doing right.This has been going on for 10 years and I'am not sure why,I have gone to the Doc, all my test come back good,I find that I get bigger at night time.Thank you for your help.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by playmate
    Hi, i'am trying to lose weight and finding that i'am getting bigger,I'am doing everything that i should be doing right.This has been going on for 10 years and i'am not sure why,I have gone to the Doc, all my test come back good,i find that i get bigger at night time.Thank you for your help.
    By "doing everything right", what do you mean? Have you cut out sugars, fats, fried foods, fast foods,processed foods? Are you on a regular exercise program and sticking to it. This means 4-5 times a week 30-60 minutes. Are you eating low fat, low calorie meals? Have you increased your consumption of fruits and veggies? How are you cooking your foods, using spreads, and cooking sprays help a lot, also the use of olive oil and canola for baking and broiling your foods cut calories. The correct foods are full of protein, fruits, veggies, grains, beans, nuts and seeds, poor choices are high in salt and sugar. i.e. chips, cakes, cookies. Low fat, sodium cheeses, 1-2% milk products, wheat bread, rice and pasta are healthier choices. Serving sizes of your meals, so important- A serving size of any meat is about 2-3 oz, the size of a open palm. What's you calorie intake if you're a woman it should be around 2000 calories and a man 2700 calories. Here's some guidelines, eat smaller portions, eat less, exercise more. Less sugar, no snacks, no sweets, no seconds, don't add salt to your meals. Reducing calories by 500 and not more then 1000 per day will help. If your drinking alcohol try to lay off it for a month or go for less calorie versions, if you drink colas or sweetened drinks they need to be cut off, high fructose corn syrup is the #1 source of calories, Drink lots of water. If you keep a record of what your eating for just a few days and review it, you can probably see what your doing wrong, and replace the bad with good. There are a lot of negativie calorie foods that burn more calories than the calorie content of the food itself, If you skip meals it will slow your metabolism and this is not good for your general health. Milk, cheese and yogurt increase fat breakdown in fat cells, you need 3-4 serving per day. Most fruits and veggies when eaten and you exercise will boost your metabolism and burn these calories for several hours even after your exercise. All this will work when your will to work hard at it. Try looking at what your doing now and review what changes need to be made, hope this helps!;)
    amazing Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Hi there,

I am also trying to lose weight and I eat nothing but mostly raw foods and fruit but I also seem to be putting the weight on but will tell you why in a moment! I have been around now for 34 years of life and only began seriously watching my weight just recently and being my age, is normal for women to be overweight if they are hour-glass or pear shaped because fat is stored in the body in ways that it isn't in long thin people. So, I have come to the conclusion and what has usually worked for me, is exercise with or without food reduction involved. Exercise and tons of it will make you lose enormous amount of weight because you will burn calories and fat. It doesn't matter what you eat but how much you eat that counts and obviously the healthiest the better for you but doesn't make you lose weight on it's own. All dairy products are fattening except for eggs which are great boiled so avoid cheese, yogurt and all fatty protein from dairy foods.

Always eat breakfast like museli or shredded wheat with raisins, one apple and skimmed milk as that will fill you up I guarantee! For lunch, eat a green leafy salad with some tuna fish or boiled eggs (no sauces or extra's at all). Drink herbal tea and water only (no diet coke,fruit juices or calorie drinks). For supper, eat a plate of mixed raw vegetables (you can grate or blend in a food processor to make consumption of this food easier), this vegetable mix includes sweetcorn, broccoli, green cabbage, carrots, onion, celery, kale leaves - whizzed all up in the food processor. This is what I eat everyday! Drink a glass of water before the meal and serve yourself as much of this vegetable mix as you can but don't be tempted to put sauces etc on it - you can eat five grams of skimmed chicken or fish with the raw food but be very careful to weigh out exactly how much you are eating.

The size of your meals should all roughly be the same so try buying smaller plates than dinner sized ones because portion sizes matter a lot. The trick is to eat less of what you normally would eat and to eat enough only until you do feel full (not bloated full, but full). Drink water with every meal, eat a piece of fruit an hour after every meal and drink herbal tea instead of tea or coffee. NEVER NEVER be tempted to eat sugar, salt found in all junk foods like biscuits, sweets, crisps, ready meals, cake, pop, pies, pastries etc etc...
    It will be quite tough to stick rigidly to this kind of healthy eating but sadly this is what is vital if you want to lose weight. If you need to snack, eat a large banana or drink water. The idea is to get your body used to less calories than you would normally eat (about 300 - 500 less a day). Exercise is the key to the weight loss more than what you are eating so running for 30 minutes a day is very important or aerobic workout. Swimming will quickly shift the weight!

Try to aim for 4 hours a day of movement (never sit for longer than two hours) as this is why I am not losing the weight despite taking some amount of daily exercise. Walking for an hour very briskly will do amazing things to your legs as long as you do it everyday not just a few times a week and you do other exercises too. Keeping fit is so important when trying to lose weight and it is this and not so much the food you eat that really does shift the weight. You have to sweat and sweat for at least two hours a day to burn around 600 calories! This is why eating very healthily is not enough by itself and you end up just eating more food (even though it is healthy) but you gain weight. If you are starving hungry, it means that your body is losing muscle not fat and because your body is not being fed enough (eat enough a day but keep within your 1'200 calorie a day limit) so never starve as that doesn't work either.

Eat 1'200 calories of as much healthy food as you can but just exercise and at least four hours a day of keeping active (hoovering stairs, walking, skipping, swimming, just keep busy for a good half of the day doing chores, walking to and from work to town etc etc - it's all in the movement more than anything else. The food won't make you lose anything if you only move for an hour and sit for ten (this is why I am not losing but gaining) - you have to move to lose as I have discovered. I have been eating raw for days and days and drinking water (cut out all junk) but am missing my breakfast or dinners sometimes and so I am hungry later on and eat heartily and don't exercise enough.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to retain weight if you are only expecting the food to make you lose it, but the bad news is that if you want to lose lots of weight without real physical exercise throughout most of the day, then living only on a bowl of cabbage water a day will do it. Nothing but movement and plenty of it will do the weight loss thing but eating less and a lot more healthily will guide the way!

I hope I have helped, but this is what I have discovered for myself.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 01:49 PM
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by amazing
    Hi there,

I am also trying to lose weight and I eat nothing but mostly raw foods and fruit but I also seem to be putting the weight on but will tell you why in a moment!. I have been around now for 34 years of life and only began seriously watching my weight just recently and being my age, is normal for women to be overweight if they are hour-glass or pear shaped because fat is stored in the body in ways that it isn't in long thin people. So, I have come to the conclusion and what has usually worked for me, is exercise with or without food reduction involved. Exercise and tons of it will make you lose enormous amount of weight because you will burn calories and fat. It doesn't matter what you eat but how much you eat that counts and obviously the healthiest the better for you but doesn't make you lose weight on it's own. All dairy products are fattening except for eggs which are great boiled so avoid cheese, yogurt and all fatty protein from dairy foods.

Always eat breakfast like museli or shredded wheat with raisins, one apple and skimmed milk as that will fill you up I guarantee!. For lunch, eat a green leafy salad with some tuna fish or boiled eggs (no sauces or extra's at all). Drink herbal tea and water only (no diet coke,fruit juices or calorie drinks). For supper, eat a plate of mixed raw vegetables (you can grate or blend in a food processor to make consumption of this food easier), this vegetable mix includes sweetcorn, broccoli, green cabbage, carrots, onion, celery, kale leaves - whizzed all up in the food processor. This is what I eat everyday! drink a glass of water before the meal and serve yourself as much of this vegetable mix as you can but don't be tempted to put sauces etc on it - you can eat five grams of skimmed chicken or fish with the raw food but be very careful to weigh out exactly how much you are eating.

The size of your meals should all roughly be the same so try buying smaller plates than dinner sized ones because portion sizes matter a lot. The trick is to eat less of what you normally would eat and to eat enough only until you do feel full (not bloated full, but full). Drink water with every meal, eat a piece of fruit an hour after every meal and drink herbal tea instead of tea or coffee. NEVER NEVER be tempted to eat sugar, salt found in all junk foods like biscuits, sweets, crisps, ready meals, cake, pop, pies, pastries etc etc................
    it will be quite tough to stick rigidly to this kind of healthy eating but sadly this is what is vital if you want to lose weight. If you need to snack, eat a large banana or drink water. The idea is to get your body used to less calories than you would normally eat (about 300 - 500 less a day). Exercise is the key to the weight loss more than what you are eating so running for 30 mins a day is very important or aerobic workout. Swimming will quickly shift the weight!.

Try to aim for 4 hours a day of movement (never sit for longer than two hours) as this is why I am not losing the weight despite taking some amount of daily exercise. Walking for an hour very briskly will do amazing things to your legs as long as you do it everyday not just a few times a week and you do other exercises too. Keeping fit is so important when trying to lose weight and it is this and not so much the food you eat that really does shift the weight. You have to sweat and sweat for at least two hours a day to burn around 600 calories!. This is why eating very healthily is not enough by itself and you end up just eating more food (even though it is healthy) but you gain weight. If you are starving hungry, it means that your body is losing muscle not fat and because your body is not being fed enough (eat enough a day but keep within your 1'200 calorie a day limit) so never starve as that doesn't work either.

Eat 1'200 calories of as much healthy food as you can but just exercise and at least four hours a day of keeping active (hoovering stairs, walking, skipping, swimming, just keep busy for a good half of the day doing chores, walking to and from work to town etc etc - it's all in the movement more than anything else. The food won't make you lose anything if you only move for an hour and sit for ten (this is why I am not losing but gaining) - you have to move to lose as I have discovered. I have been eating raw for days and days and drinking water (cut out all junk) but am missing my breakfast or dinners sometimes and so I am hungry later on and eat heartily and don't exercise enough.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to retain weight if you are only expecting the food to make you lose it, but the bad news is that if you want to lose lots of weight without real physical exercise throughout most of the day, then living only on a bowl of cabbage water a day will do it. Nothing but movement and plenty of it will do the weight loss thing but eating less and a lot more healthily will guide the way!.

I hope I have helped, but this is what I have discovered for myself.
    I'm thinking your giving very logical advice with the exception of your statement that "all dairy products are fattening" There are all sorts of choices in the dairy selection, which no one can afford to cut out! Fat free, low fat cheese, like mozzarella, swiss, ricotta, cottage cheese. Low fat, low (1-2% milk),or skim. Yogurt also comes low sugar and fat free, it takes a lot of reading but these products are three of the best dairy groups to eat when your trying to lose body fat. Our plates should be 1/2 fruit/veggies; 1/4 whole grain and 1/4 protein. The Dairy products that your No-noing increase fat breakdown in fat cells and we need 3-4 servings per day.;)

Mar 11, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Not if you are seriously trying to lose weight. Only if you are just wanting to eat more healthily and cut down on saturated fats yes they are but not for shedding the bulge overall because even low fat yogurt contains sugars that are not natural and low fat cheese spreads etc are still calorific in terms of choice. You only need a minimal amount of calcium in your adult years but protein is by far the most important food to eat over dairy products such as fish and liver. Low fat foods don't make any difference to weight loss (it is the portion size of food that matters most). But all dairy products are fattening is very very true! - some less and some more than others I agree, but cheese and yogurt and milk are not essential for an adult diet and neither are they healthy if eaten frequently. A better alternative would be soya products but they just taste horrid compared to the fatty tasty foods. You get fat from nuts and seeds and fish and meats, but too much calcium for an adult will do nothing to the waist line and I know.

Fatty foods whether they are low fat or not, do not break down fat cells - only exercise does that and I have studied sports science to know this. (not trying to insult your own intelligence at all) but honestly and truthfully, they do not burn fat cells at all and if anything, put the weight on so you have to eat a very small amount indeed and exercise lots. Only athletes eat plenty of the foods we don't to keep up their stamina but you would never find one eating cheese as a rule. Low fat foods are just healthier options but they rarely are that low in fats and sugars anyway and why people find it hard to lose weight and cut out certain unhealthy foods is because they are addicted to the sugars and salts and fats found in such foods as many dairy foods indeed have (regardless of lows fat food etc). It is about re-training the body to like healthier natural foods that are good for us as it is about dieting and the best foods we should all eat is mostly and largely fruit and vegetables with protein of course.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amazing
    Not if you are seriously trying to lose weight. Only if you are just wanting to eat more healthily and cut down on saturated fats yes they are but not for shedding the bulge overall because even low fat yogurt contains sugars that are not natural and low fat cheese spreads etc are still calorific in terms of choice. You only need a minimal amount of calcium in your adult years but protein is by far the most important food to eat over dairy products such as fish and liver. Low fat foods don't make any difference to weight loss (it is the portion size of food that matters most). But all dairy products are fattening is very very true! - some less and some more than others I agree, but cheese and yogurt and milk are not essential for an adult diet and neither are they healthy if eaten frequently. A better alternative would be soya products but they just taste horrid compared to the fatty tasty foods. You get fat from nuts and seeds and fish and meats, but too much calcium for an adult will do nothing to the waist line and I know.

Fatty foods whether they are low fat or not, do not break down fat cells - only exercise does that and I have studied sports science to know this. (not trying to insult your own intelligence at all) but honestly and truthfully, they do not burn fat cells at all and if anything, put the weight on so you have to eat a very small amount indeed and exercise lots. Only athletes eat plenty of the foods we don't to keep up their stamina but you would never find one eating cheese as a rule. Low fat foods are just healthier options but they rarely are that low in fats and sugars anyway and why people find it hard to lose weight and cut out certain unhealthy foods is because they are addicted to the sugars and salts and fats found in such foods as many dairy foods indeed have (regardless of lows fat food etc). It is about re-training the body to like healthier natural foods that are good for us as it is about dieting and the best foods we should all eat is mostly and largely fruit and vegetables with protein of course.
    Well I can tell you from studies I've been involved in on people who were on a calorie restricted diet, when given 3-4 servings of dairy per day, these people lost more weight and body fat, they also lost more body fat from the abdominal area. Calcium regulates energy metabolism and increases fat breakdown and decreases the amount of body fat. The choices I gave are skim milk, plain, nonfat yogurt, which is the lowest in fat and contains no "added" sugars, "Partskim or low fat cheese are available, Part skim mozzarella for example 1 0z contains only 71 calories, 39 from fat. This is a good choice. I agree with your statement that people are addicted to sugar, sodium and fatty foods, but you really need to reaquaint yourself with the new studies on dairy products, cause a lot of new research has been done and a lot of new products are out there that all adults need. At the least 2-3 servings of milk, cheese, yogurt per day, (1 serving being 1 cup milk, yogurt, or 1 1/2 oz cheese). It really doesn't add up to that much!! :o

Mar 11, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Yes, I agree because it's not what you eat but how much of it for sure. The healthier the options the better, but when you eat anything that isn't whole food you just have to be very careful but measuring out is the best way like you said. I would never have ever thought of any dairy food being healthy for you and why I ended up cutting it out and began using soya spread for a while but just became conscious of the fat even in that! I have around three stone to lose and am consuming mostly raw food in small amounts but combine with very meagre amounts of protein but always eat breakfast and salad for lunch but still feel hungry even after that because my calorie intake has dropped quite a bit. However, I am just not moving as much as I could be and don't always stick rigidly to the plan I have but never eat any bad stuff (just cereal and fruit when really hungry but not enough to gain weight).

I have eaten almost anything in the past and have surprisingly lost weight but only because I moved a lot (rarely sat down) but now I am out of work at the moment, it is harder for me to want to really move a lot because feel down and depressed sometimes as most people do but I do walk about and do an hour of aerobics a day and eat very healthily and no more than 1000 calories a day and am still not losing weight so it must be to do with not moving enough and little to do with the healthy food eaten and the cutting out of junk. I would never think of having dairy food except skimmed milk in my diet because I would dread to think what that would do to me if I am not even losing weight now and eating raw foods?

I only know that unsaturated fats in fish and nuts are okay to have but have never heard of dairy (saturated fats) burning fat cells - it is something most health experts try to warn dieters away from usually (except for yogurt and milk perhaps) but I honestly don't think we need much of it as adults but we do need omega 3 and definitely some fat from meats and nuts. It is just that we have gotten used to eating butter and cheese etc in the modern age but it is not something we ought to be eating I would agree. I think that we are just eating what we are used to and what is nice to eat but doesn't lose anyone any weight - (only only if you are rigorously exercising or eating a strict calorie controlled diet which is the same as crash dieting and many people fail these types of diets because they are used to the food groups that contain the very things that make them put on weight in the first instance). I have done dieting on and off to know myself this but I have changed my food groups to healthier ones.

I definitely think exercise is the whole key to losing weight and when you do exercise, you do burn calories no matter what you eat as long as it is controlled to some degree. I like all of the bad stuff but just refuse to go near it now I know what it all contains and that includes cheese. A good breakfast and lunch is the key to stop later snacking but to eat foods that fill you up such as boiled eggs, rice, bran and porridge and jogging for 30 minutes each day. This is a better longer term plan than just cutting out calories I have found and does lose you the weight but keeping active throughout the day is better. The pulses and beans etc you mentioned in your earlier post is great because they are such great choices of dietry fibre and are filling too and all whole foods are good choices like jacket potatoes but without the butter, the trick is to just move and move more and eat less of the fatty and sugary and salty foods as possible and never starve yourself to lose weight because you will only end up eating more all over again. To get to a size zero or an eight in clothes size, you can only eat cabbage juice and salad each day (500 calories) and exercise madly - I never want to be that thin, but just to show people that to be this size, this is what you have to do to get to it if you are fuller figured anyway so goes to show you what you need to do just to lose a few pounds let alone a few stone!
    DaisyGirl25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Just a quick answer... to your question... Eating raw foods and natural foods is the best way to go. I also suggest a book... "Dare to Lose" by Shari Lieberman. I lost all my baby weight last year when I stuck to the MENU... and I was exercising regularly. I am still on it... because it's the RIGHT way to eat... and also I've just started Kettlebells... a new workout in town... but an old russian workout from years ago. Its absolutely FABULOUS! I'd check it out! GOOD LUCK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lose weight [ 6 Answers ]

I weigh 56 kilos, and I'm 5 feet 4 inches. I know I'm not fat, but I have quite a big tummy. I mean again its not fat, but my ideal weight would be 50 kilos. I don't exercise really, which I know I should. My question is what are the right foods to eat to lose weight on my tummy?

How to lose weight [ 8 Answers ]

I am 37 years old. My height is 5 ft 3 inches and I weigh approx 213 lbs. How long will it take to reach my ideal weight if I don't go overboard with dieting ? Also please tell me what is my ideal weight. I don't like to exercise. Also please tell me how many calories I should have daily in order...

Lose weight [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there expert buddy I have problem with my weight, I am 182 lbs.. I have a difficult time waking up in the morning. I used to dance belly dancing, but I stop it.. My friends told me to try to go to GYM, I insist that when I go to GYM, there are tendency that I cannot maintain my routine...

Need some help to lose weight.. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I want some tips to lose weight so please give me efftive tips because I tried many of them doing.. I did many execersie and also started gym but no good result please help me...

Trying To Lose Weight. [ 4 Answers ]

Yes Does Anyone Know Of A True, Honest Way To Lose Weight?:)

View more questions Search