Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    montrealgardene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Us ex-pat contributing to 401k?
    I have lived in Canada for 20 years and have duel citizenship. I have worked in the US, but never contributed to a retirement fund. Can I do it now because of previously earned US income? What would the Canadian tax consequences be?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by montrealgardene View Post
    I have lived in Canada for 20 years and have duel citizenship. I have worked in the US, but never contributed to a retirement fund. Can I do it now because of previously earned US income? What would the Canadian tax consequences be?
    No... a 401K by its very nature has to be contributed to via your paycheck deduction to a current participating employers plan. You want another form of investment such as one of the IRA's or other type products.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mandatory Withdrawel while Still Employed and contributing to 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I will turn 70 1/2 next March - I will be continuing to work - my company and I both contribute to my 401K. I also have an IRA that was funded from a rollover from a prior company. Since I am not planning to retire for at least 5 more years, will I be required to start pulling the mandatory...

Is my weight a contributing factor? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a couple of stone over weight but feel happy and healthy I have no residing health problems from it so I don't have a problem with it the only thing is I have had two miscarriages and really want a baby but I have been trying with my boyfriend for a while and still no luck every time my period...

Is contributing to a minor a violation of probation in Maryland [ 1 Answers ]

On probation and rec'd a citation for contributing to the delinquency of a minor (19 year old friend had trace amount of alcohol in system). Is this considered a violation of probation?

What is the difference between contributing to a SEP or Roth IRA? [ 2 Answers ]

I have only social security income and some contract income for 2009. Would it be better to open a SEP account for the contract income or contribute to my Roth IRA. Which would give better tax treatment?

How to word the wedding invite when grooms parents aren't contributing [ 5 Answers ]

We have a sticky situation. We need suggested wedding invititation wording for when the brides father is deceased, and the grooms parents are not contributing to the wedding, but the bride and groom, and the mother of the bride are. The Grooms parents will be insulted if they are not listed on...

View more questions Search