Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvacjay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 04:50 AM
    Has this email address ever been use in a scam before
    I have been duped by a woman from ghana using this email address [email protected] And goes by the name Ashley McCoy Gaor
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2012, 05:02 AM
    Webmail addresses are free, these people have many, hundreds even. If they are from Ghana and asking you for money then it's a scam.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2012, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacjay View Post
    I have been duped by a woman from ghana using this email address [email protected] And goes by the name Ashley McCoy Gaor
    Does it matter if THIS one has? They can easily make up new ones as they wish.

Essentially EVERY Ghana dating ploy is a scam... nearly everything from Nigeria is too...

Don't want scammed... date someone local so you know its not a man behind the keyboard using a photo they found posted someplace.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2012, 06:48 AM
    First this is most likely not even "ONE WOMEN" or at times not even a women. Scams from Ghana is a big business. There are large buildings filled with people at computers, they use prepared texts and stories that have been proven to work. There are managers that read over and review communications and suggest things to say. Today you may be chatting with person 1, tomorrow may be their day off and you talk to person 2, but they have all of your texts to review to keep the converstation going. They will take months to sit up a person if it is going along their plan.

The issue I see , this is such a famous scam, been shown on national TV, why will anyone even fall for it still, but they do. And after they do, and figure it out, in a few months you get another email from someone who claims to be in the FBI or some Ghana government, saying that they will be able to get your money back ( guess what for a fee) to file some paper.

The government there cares less, many of the large groups may even control local police.

As for the email address, they have 100's or 1000's of them, change them after one gets too well known And that will not even be a real name of the person.
    AHENFO Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Jul 7, 2012, 09:52 PM
    No I think you people making false comment I have friend who met ghana woman on internet and they just got married and they arel living in Florida pensacola..
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AHENFO View Post
    No i think you people making false comment i have friend who met ghana woman on internet and they just got married and they arel living in florida pensacola..
    So one person out of millions is real, but we're making false comments?

No.

Look it up. The Ghana dating scam is well known, well documented, and being investigated.
    AHENFO Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Jul 7, 2012, 10:09 PM
    No I don't think she is a scammed
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 10:12 PM
    No i dont think she is a scammed
    Like I said, one person out of millions doesn't prove anything.

Look it up. Most online relationships with people from Ghana are scams, same as Nigeria.

Your friend got lucky, he's one out of a million that didn't get scammed. But 99.9% of these online relationships are scams.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 10:12 PM
    Really? Check this out...

Romance Scams | Embassy of the United States Accra, Ghana
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2012, 05:34 AM
    No i dont think she is a scammed
    Nice Try. But a trace of your IP just helps support that this is a scam. BUSTED!
    Attached Images

Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Nice Try. But a trace of your IP just helps support that this is a scam. BUSTED!
    BAM! Nice catch Scott!
    Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 06:10 AM
    You guys, I hate it when you let facts and common sense get in the way of a great scam or troll.

And by the way, nice picture Scott, no street address so we can go visit for tea and cookies
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Darn... I was looking forward to seeing what passes for food over there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2012, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    no street address so we can go visit for tea and cookies
    Well I did zoom in and it appears the IP may be located in an industrial park (not a residential area). So its probably a boiler room setup.
    Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 06:46 AM
    So we could have BOILED tea and cookies?
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 07:08 AM
    More likely sheep brains, and boiled goat eyeballs, the local delicacies.
    Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 07:11 AM
    You do know they are actually even proud of their set ups, if you are ever in those areas, it is likely they would give you a tour ( no photos to prove it of course) it is a business to them.
    And from the criminal side of things a fairly good one. Plus it employs a lot of people. Many of the locals love these guys since they give gradma or gradpa a job ( yes that lovely young girl is often a 55 year old gradma with no teeth)
    Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Here in the south there are pig brains ( great with scrambled eggs) and the rest of the head meat goes into the thing called "head cheese" our "souse"
    Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Well, there goes my breakfast!
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Here in the south there are pig brains ( great with scrambled eggs) and the rest of the head meat goes into the thing called "head cheese" our "souse"
    And y'all can keep all of it... my father liked it but not me. I don't do tripe or Chitlins either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone has hacked my email address book and is sending spam email to addresses in [ 2 Answers ]

Someone has hacked into my email address book and is sending spam to addresses from my book. How can I stop this?

Can personal information, I.e. My address - be traced via my email address [ 2 Answers ]

When I send an email using i.e. Hotmail, can the person receiving it retrieve any personal information, i.e. my home address :eek:etc. somehow? If my real name is not displayed anywhere on the email I am sending, is there still a way to trace personal information about me? Thank you!

View more questions Search