Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malcalde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 02:16 PM
    How to Evict other Roommates, All of us are Renters
    Myself and two other people are renting a townhouse in Virginia. None of us have signed a lease. We all moved in when the previous renter moved out, and we haven't signed anything. Now, I would like to get rid of my other two roommates, but I don't know how. Should I just contact the landlord?
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Yes, you need to contact the landlord and sign a lease. Make sure that the lease is back dated to the month that you moved in. Not signing a lease just opens yourself up to being able to be sued by the landlord. Also pay your rent via check or money order, and keep the stub. If you have to pay in cash make sure you get a receipt.

You have no right to evict your roommates, only the landlord can evict. Why don't you just move out?

If you do move out here are a couple things to keep in mind:
    Make sure you give 30 days notice, IN WRITING! Make sure that your written notice says something like " Effective MM/DD/YYY: I, YOUR NAME, can not be held responsible for rent or utilities. " Most important, make sure your other roommates sign it! Give them copies, and keep the original for yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict renters after buying a home [ 4 Answers ]

I am purchasing my mother in-laws home. I am closing in three weeks. If I close on Feb 28th, is it possible for me to evict my mother in-law's current roommate? She has no lease and has been living there since Nov.-05. Can I kick her out on Feb. 28th?

Roommates forced me out! [ 1 Answers ]

My roommates forced me to move out of my townhouse but refuse to sign me off the lease. They expect me to pay rent until they find a new roommate, but I don't think that is fair since THEY forced ME out. I moved out on November 10th, 2006 and have continued to pay my third of the rent until now,...

I am having a disagreement with one of my roommates [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Pensacola, Florida in a 4 bedroom 4 bathroom apartment. I reside with 3 roommates, two of which are on the lease. I myself along with one of my roommates are not on the lease. We all moved in the apartment at the same time and I established a verbal agreement with one of the...

Family Roommates need to go. Help [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I caring for my disabled sister. Her son, (My Nephew) and his wife and 2 children are living with us. They are listed as occupants but the lease is all in my name. They are causing grief and arguments all the time. My nephew just quit his job and now I have all the bills to pay....

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

View more questions Search