Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeff7323 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 01:46 PM
    GFCI trips?
    I have aan outdoor outlet on the patio.
    On the inside of the wall of the basement (about 6-7 feet away)there is a GFCI outlet.

When I plug my Greenlee GT-10 GFI tester into the outlet on the patio it trps the GFCI outlet inside the basement.

Slso, when I plug the tester into the inside basement GFCI and push the test button it trips that outlet?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2012, 03:00 PM
    What are you testing for?
    Did the outside outlet trip without your pushing the test button-- before you started doing testing? Had you just plugged in something (other than the tester) and that tripped the gfci and that caused you to start checking with a tester?
    Are you checking for voltage and if so, are you testing with probes in hot and neutral openings or one in hot and one in ground?
    If you push the test button on the gfci, does it trip and then reset OK?
    I can't tell if you have a real problem or are just experimenting with the tester.
    The gfci should trip just like you say it does when you push the test button, whether you have a tester plugged in that moment or not.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2012, 09:33 PM
    The outside outlet is on the load side of the basement GFCI and is operating as it should. The inside GFCI is operating properly .Is there a question in your comments?
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 2, 2012, 09:34 PM
    Your patio outlet is protected by the gfi outlet in the basement. It is wired to the load side of the gfi recept and makes the patio recept gfi protected

Jun 3, 2012, 09:58 AM
    6/3/2012, (((NEW QUESTION)))
    Smearcase, All that you state is correct. I did have an electrician "add" 4 CFCI outlets in a series along a basement wall that is buried underground by the foundation. Never had any H2O leaks but wanted to be safe!!
    The 1st two (2) outlets coming from the main power box show HOT&NUE. REV
    When I plug in the GFIC tester into the outlets. The two (2) past that test OK.
    I am assuming they are saying I ave reversed the HOT & NUETRAL but they are the same on all outlets. ALL out lets trip when you push the button as well??
    Thanks.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    What are you testing for?
    Did the outside outlet trip without your pushing the test button-- before you started doing testing? Had you just plugged in something (other than the tester) and that tripped the gfci and that caused you to start checking with a tester?
    Are you checking for voltage and if so, are you testing with probes in hot and neutral openings or one in hot and one in ground?
    If you push the test button on the gfci, does it trip and then reset OK?
    I can't tell if you have a real problem or are just experimenting with the tester.
    The gfci should trip just like you say it does when you push the test button, whether you have a tester plugged in that moment or not.

Jun 3, 2012, 10:21 AM
    To Smearcase
    6/3/2012, (((NEW QUESTION)))
    Smearcase, All that you state is correct. I did have an electrician "add" 4 CFCI outlets in a series along a basement wall that is buried underground by the foundation. Never had any H2O leaks but wanted to be safe!!
    The 1st two (2) outlets coming from the main power box show HOT&NUE. REV
    When I plug in the GFIC tester into the outlets. The two (2) past that test OK.
    I am assuming they are saying I ave reversed the HOT & NUETRAL but they are the same on all outlets. ALL out lets trip when you push the button as well??
    Thanks.
    Jeff
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2012, 10:28 AM
    Like your previous question about a closet light, you seem to have changed horses in the middle of the stream.

I am just going to try and answer the one concern that seems to be common to both questions:

The gfci outlets are supposed to trip when you push the test button and that is a process designed to ensure that the gfci outlet is functioning correctly and will do its job and protect you if a fault occurs in the portion of the circuit on the load side of the gfci.

Jun 3, 2012, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Like your previous question about a closet light, you seem to have changed horses in the middle of the stream.

I am just going to try and answer the one concern that seems to be common to both questions:

The gfci outlets are supposed to trip when you push the test button and that is a process designed to ensure that the gfci outlet is functioning correctly and will do its job and protect you if a fault occurs in the portion of the circuit on the load side of the gfci.
    Smearcase- that's what happens when you get old and cannot manipulate a wecsite! (-: I am selling this house in Virginia and moving to Mexico. I own a home there as well. Plus the politicians look you in the eyes when they lie to you! Anyway, I was just checking a couple items prior ro inspector showing up. House is sold pendinging assessment. Buyer is a Vet too! Thanks for your help. I think you have answered all my questions. MX labor is skilled but cost less so I won't be doing much down there.
    Jeff
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2012, 11:09 AM
    Suggest that you let the inspector test as he desires with no coaching. If those outlets don't trip on their own (and only when you push the test button) there is a very good chance that they are OK.
    Good luck with your move.
    TimZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 10:59 AM
    Ok my gfci outlets 1 outside and 1 in bathroom.. mobile home... both tripped but neither outlet has a reset button just looks like a normal outlet until you take off the cover and then I know for sure it is.. sticker also on the outlet stating gfci protected.. looked in main breaker panel in laundry room but still no reset button also looked under the house and coudlnt find ground fault.. anywhere.. any suggestions
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 12:51 PM
    If there isn't a breaker with a GF on it, there must be an outlet somewhere. Other side of house, another bathroom, kitchen??
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Did you check all the breakers, GFCI or not to make sure they weren't tripped?
    There is probably a GFCI outlet somewhere and if there has been any remodeling or changes of any kind someone could have concealed it (they did it to me). You can try to trace the wires that come to the disabled outlets and maybe get a clue as to where the GFCI might be. And there is always a chance that someone may have just put those GFCI stickers on those two outlets to make it appear that the wiring was compliant in which case there probably should still be a tripped breaker. Or there could be a bad connection in the circuit in its path back to the panel. Check the breakers first and if you aren't sure if one is tripped or not, turn it fully to the off position and back on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI trips after rain [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced a GFCI in the bathroom last year (GFCI is for 3 bathrooms) it kept tripping and occurred after we had weeks of wet weather. After I replaced the new one tripped, not immediately but after wet weather. For the past 6 months no problem. This week lots of rain, it tripped won't reset. ...

Gfci trips [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small fountain motor (not submersible) plugged into a gfci and After working fine for a year it now trips after about 10 minutes. This is What I have tried so far. 1. I plugged a lamp into the same gfci and it stayed on for over 3 hours Until I turned it off - didn't trip. 2....

GFCI trips intermitantly [ 8 Answers ]

The GFCI trips intermitantly on my spa. The Blower was unplugged and the GFCI worked. Another Blower was installed and the GFCI trips again. I say the GFCI works and there is still something wrong in the spa. The Dealer says my GFCI is old and needs better noise suppression. They want to replace it...

3-way switch trips GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

All, I installed a GFCI in a bathroom that has 2 outlets, 2 vanity light bars controlled by a pair of 3-way switches, and a shower room with a Nutone fan/heater/light combo. I installed a GFCI in one outlet and when I turn on the lights, the GFCI trips. Both outlets have two cables in them and...

Submersible pump trips gfci [ 9 Answers ]

My pond pump has been operating for over a year. Recently it tripped the gfci. I pulled it and took it apart but didn't see anything obvious. I pulled the ground wire and tried the pump and it worked. Anyone have any ideas?

View more questions Search