Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaiotes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Excel 15 digit issue, tried converting to text, text to column feature negates fix
    I have the following numbers that exceed 15 characters that needs to be split into its own columns.
    Down the road, there would be thousands of such rows of data with the first couple set of unique numbers.

890432453253208820,5004500558,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11 00:00:00.000,2007-02-10 23:59:59.000,ttt,

890432253253208820,5004600558,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11 00:00:00.000,2007-02-10 23:59:59.000,ttt,

890432453253208822,5004500758,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11 00:00:00.000,2007-02-10 23:59:59.000,ttt,

Obviously one method would be to use the replace command, but I can not due to the uncertainty of the pattern of the first set of number.

I have tried formating them as text after pasting it into excel, it does the trick, but I need each set of numbers that are separated by commas into its own column, but once I do text to column, the first set of numbers which exceed 15 digits no longer show the full digits, only the first 15 digits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 26, 2007, 01:16 PM
    The 15 digit of precision is not new for Excel. Microsoft claims that they are adhering to strict IEEE 754 which basically limits to 15 digits the precision of a real number which is how numbers are represented in Excel. Anything larger than that is represented with a maximum of 15 digits using E+## notation.

What you can do is import those numbers as TEXT. I took the liberty of cutting/pasting what you listed in a .CSV file and I did a data import and changed the properties of the first column to be TEXT before the import. That worked. I'm wondering if that's what you wanted to do vs. having to manually change each row.

Also, there is a 3rd party tool that you can give a try which might help you. The free version has annoying pop-up dialogue boxes that remind you that this is a free program etc etc. The paid version doesn't. See if this solves your problem:

xlPrecision

Casey
    kaiotes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 02:24 PM
    When I attempted to import the data (all in a txt file) into a new sheet, I still have the problem of 15 digits, I had the first column already as text.

Can you provide more detailed instructions on the import process?
    Thanks again
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 26, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Here's what I did:

1. I started with a blank spreadsheet.
    2. From the menu: DATA --> Import External Data --> Import Data
    -- Find and choose the CSV file (you'll need to change File of types to Text Files

Now a Text Import Wizard comes up

Step 1 of 3
    - Change to Delimited, click Next

Step 2 of 3
    - Uncheck Tab and check Comma, click Next

Step 3 of 3
    - Click TEXT (this will change the first column from General to Text)
    - Click FINISH

Next Screen (Import Data) just click OK (basically you're choosing the default to import to the existing worksheet)

That worked for me and the first column shows the entire number in the first column.
    radhikakhtau Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 07:54 AM
    Save it as a .csv file and open in MS Access... all the data will be converted into text... then export to excel
    If this does not work open the .csv file (using open with by right clicking on the .cvs file and select open with) in Word Pad... delete the " (inverted comma) notation from the beginning and end of each row... and save the file and open in MS Access and once your data appears in the desired format... export in excel
    radhikakhtau Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 07:54 AM
    Save it as a .csv file and open in MS Access... all the data will be converted into text... then export to excel
    If this does not work open the .csv file (using open with by right clicking on the .cvs file and select open with) in Word Pad... delete the " (inverted comma) notation from the beginning and end of each row... and save the file and open in MS Access and once your data appears in the desired format... export in excel
    qudratpakhtoon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 02:20 AM
    How we can convert text or number to password shape, I mean when I enter text in a cell so I want to appear in password shape same like this.*******

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pdf to text [ 8 Answers ]

Are there some pdf's that won't let you copy them as text? I was trying to copy a table from http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals/robertshaw/110-733c.pdf and couldn't copy it. I had no trouble copying a similar table from http://www.thermostatusa.com/pdf/CCREC01-Installation.pdf Once in a...

Disappearing Text Boxes in Excel Bar Chart [ 7 Answers ]

I have been working on this large horizontal bar chart. It has about 100 items to show as bars of different sizes, and requires 100 text boxes for comments. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TEXT BOXES BECAUSE THEY DISAPPEAR CONTINUALLY. If I click the area where a text box is, then it comes back. But I...

Text to large [ 3 Answers ]

Playing with my computer I increased the size of the text very large too large for my E-mail to fit along with everything else Nothing will fit correctly on pages How can I correct this??

Text color [ 1 Answers ]

I am using Windows XP and the names of my folders always were in blue. Now they are in black and I would like to know how to change the color back to blue. Thank you. Mrs. Moran

Display text vertically and not horizontally in 1 cell (Excel) [ 2 Answers ]

How would you display a line of text to show vertically after each text in one cell? For example: Total Activity Cost And not Total Activity Cost (in one cell)? Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search